GEN 2 Ford wants to put in new engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StueyMinion

Reaction score
Looking for someone that maybe has advice or experience with this. I’ll keep it to facts. If you have questions let me know. Bought 2018 Raptor on 11/10. First day I noticed tapping sound. I brought back to dealer. They said they thought I can still drive it, so I did while they diagnosed. Two months later they have no idea exactly what it is but they believe it’s in engine. So Ford said put in new engine. I told them I want new truck because I didn’t buy a truck that needed a new engine from day one. They want me to bring in truck tomorrow to get new engine. They said I can still argue for new truck, ie the new engine doesn’t change that. They said new engine will be put in whether or not they give me a new truck so best to just get it done. Thoughts? Comments? Questions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimmyP

Reaction score
This can go many ways, if it were me, I would take a new engine and move on. I wouldn't want to try and fight for something when the manufacturer is backing their product already but agreeing to replace and engine, not rebuild it. It will be a zero mile engine, maybe ask them for an extended warranty for your troubles?

OP
OP
S

StueyMinion

Reaction score
The truck has 1300 miles. If it had 30,000 or 50,000 then a new engine is more appealing. Truck has 1,300 miles right now. Had about 50 miles when I first brought it back to Ford to report the problem. I don’t think Fords manufacturing error should become my problem simply because I happened to be the one that bought a truck with a bad engine from the factory. Especially wit the amount of money these things cost.

OP
OP
S

StueyMinion

Reaction score
I’m surprised I’m getting responses to just take a new engine. Every person I have told this to has told me they would ask for new truck.

In COLORADO lemon law is 4 attempts to fix or 30 business days without truck. I went through Ford and they told me today they don’t believe it means lemon law. Also told me to resubmit after new engine put in. It’s all technicalities and I agree would need to get lawyer involved. What is an “attempt”? Have they given up on attempts since putting in new engine? Is new engine an “attempt”? What does it mean to be without truck? I’m not going on 1,000 trip with noise in engine so I could argue I haven’t had truck for over 60 days since I bought it.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Man, that sucks. Was it tapping during the test drive? Not that it really matters I guess.

I would want a new truck or a badass warranty, but would probably just settle for a new engine if that's the best I could get. Odds are if there is an ongoing issue due to the swap, you will have the truck back in to service before the lemon law times out?

OP
OP
S

StueyMinion

Reaction score
Actually didn’t test drive. It was new of train from factory and hadn’t gone through their inspection process so couldn’t drive. But is was the truck I wanted and the right price. Would never think something like this would happen so didn’t worry about test driving it.

OP
OP
S

StueyMinion

Reaction score
If the put new engine in and it doesn’t fix problem they will have one really pissed off owner and no choice but to give me new truck. And if something else comes up with new engine they will have pissed off owner. I am still pushing for new truck because they shouldn’t have been able to sell a truck with bad engine from day one.