Ford Says Its New 7.3-Liter V8 Can Fit In The F-150, Mustang

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And what makes you think it will weigh 300 pounds more than the Ecoboost?

Physics and math...

7.3L = 446ci
3.5L = 213ci

132ci more displacement or ~38% more.

The 3.5L weighs about 400 pounds. 38% more is about 150lbs. Cast Iron is ~2.5 times heavier than Aluminum... 150 x 2.5= ~375lbs.

That's just the short block. The heads on the 7.3L will be Aluminum, but still larger than the 3.5L.

So... the 7.3L will weigh at least 300lbs more.

Yeah. No. It doesn't work like that. First of all, an iron LS block weighs about 100 pounds more than an aluminum one. That's reality based on actual measurements.

On top of that, your math is just plain WRONG.

446 - 213 = 233
233 / 213 = 1.09

So the 7.3 (based on your CID values) is 109% larger. So, according to your own math, the 7.3 should weigh well over 800 pounds. And that's just nonsense.

You can't scale weight with displacement anyway. When you bore out an engine you increase displacement and REDUCE weight.

All else equal, a V8 crank would weigh less than 33% more than a V6 crank. Two additional pistons and rods would weigh precisely 33% more. Simple (correct) math.

There's just so much wrong with your post.

Remember, Ford told us the aluminum body weighed 700-800 pounds less than the steel body. And yet the Gen 2 Raptor weighed only 500 pounds less. Where's the difference?

And lastly, I find it highly unlikely that OHV V8 heads would weigh more than OHC V6 heads. I think the exact opposite is true.

Sorry. But this whole post was pure ignorance.

LS vs Coyote.jpeg

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. No.

Sorry. But this whole post was pure ignorance.

Easy with the insults, no one should be that exited about a post. Yes, it should have been twice the displacement, and of course the blocks are not of the same design. So yes it’s not 1:1... it’s an approximation.

Are you suggesting that the 7.3L will not be significantly heavier? You already admit, it should at least be 33% heavier if it was made of the same materials. Is that where you stop... no consideration for the cast iron?

If just 25% of the 3.5L weight is attributed to the block thats “approximately” 100lbs...converted to cast iron that’s 250lbs.. lets lower it to 200lbs. Enlarge it to accommodate 2 more cylinders and you are back to at least 250lbs.

A big block cast iron V8 does indeed weigh nearly 700 pounds. What is your estimate of the 7.3L weight?

Last edited:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
An ALL IRON (as in block, heads, and intake manifold) 1950s era BIG BLOCK V8 might weigh a little less than 700 pounds, sure. But this isn't that.

An aluminum LS block weighs a little over 100 pounds. Iron LS blocks are around 220.

No where in my post did I state the engine would weigh 33% more. I stated that certain components might. You're ignoring the weight savings in the heads, cams, valvetrain, timing chain, etc. Also the two turbos and all the extra plumbing. And the intercooler. Hell, even those MASSIVE DOHC valve covers weigh a lot more.

My best guess is that this engine would weigh 100 pounds more than the 450 pound ecoboost, which is less than 25%. And with an aluminum block, it would weigh about the same. As a reminder, that's what the 2005, 505 horsepower Chevy LS7 weighed.

And I wasn't exited or insulting. I was just stating fact. Your post was really bad man.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
This is all very funny because when we get an 8 cylinder back in this truck, all the ecoboost people will be dumping theirs.

Well, there's this:

"And if you're wondering if it'll fit in a Mustang, Beltramo told us it's actually shorter in height and narrower than a Coyote V-8, but quite a bit longer thanks to much increased bore centers. It's possible then, but good luck doing so without having to cut into the firewall. And even if you could wedge this motor into a Mustang, it wouldn't be very good, because of its heavy cast iron block and low-revving nature. Stick with the Coyote, kids.

Beltramo said that there aren't any plans on sticking this engine in an F-150 either, but it will eventually find a home in medium-duty trucks like the F-650 and F-750."

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/why-ford-made-7-3-211700404.html

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
This is all very funny because when we get an 8 cylinder back in this truck, all the ecoboost people will be dumping theirs.
Nah, you know what’s very funny? When you get banned

about_freakin_time.jpeg

The new ecoboost is coming. and so is your new FRF ban.

we are drilling a weep hole in your FRF trolling, loser.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Guys, just curious, how does the bore spacing of the 7.3 compare to the 6.2? (which was used quite successfully in the F-150)

I get that it's longer than the Mustang motor. But we don't drive Mustangs. Or Ford GTs. Or Taurus SHOs, right? We drive trucks.

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An ALL IRON (as in block, heads, and intake manifold) 1950s era BIG BLOCK V8 might weigh a little less than 700 pounds, sure. But this isn't that.

An aluminum LS block weighs a little over 100 pounds. Iron LS blocks are around 220.

No where in my post did I state the engine would weigh 33% more. I stated that certain components might. You're ignoring the weight savings in the heads, cams, valvetrain, timing chain, etc. Also the two turbos and all the extra plumbing. And the intercooler. Hell, even those MASSIVE DOHC valve covers weigh a lot more.

My best guess is that this engine would weigh 100 pounds more than the 450 pound ecoboost, which is less than 25%. And with an aluminum block, it would weigh about the same. As a reminder, that's what the 2005, 505 horsepower Chevy LS7 weighed.

And I wasn't exited or insulting. I was just stating fact. Your post was really bad man.

Agreed on the post. I tapped it out on my phone while having another conversation and didn’t reread it before posting. But you were aggressive and disrespectful ... a simple “hey man, are you sure about these numbers” would have been more appropriate.

We’ll see about the weight at some point... I’m at 200 plus, you’re at 100. That’s cool.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Much of the foundation of your argument is still wrong, though. Iron might weigh ~ 2.5x more than aluminum, but it's stronger so you have to use less volume. Aluminum blocks are also not entirely made of aluminum. They are typically sleeved with steel (even heavier than iron) and the main caps are steel. And again you are ignoring the massive amounts of weight saved from the much smaller and more efficient OHV layout, as I noted above. You've got one cam instead of four. You've got 16 valves and springs instead of 24. The heads are physically smaller. There isn't a massively long and heavy timing chain. No turbos, no intercooler, and none of the additional plumbing and routing required for those systems. That's a lot of weight.

The real weight difference will be closer to 100 pounds with the iron block. Zero if they make an aluminum version. That's my two cents. OHV engines are extremely efficient for their physical size. That's just the way it is. I linked to a naturally aspirated 400 cubic inch OHV engine earlier in this thread that was pushing close to 3 horsepower per cubic inch. Times change, fellas. Technology improves.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Let me tell you how excited I will be to drop $100k on a Gen3 with engine tech so outdated it was obsolete 20 years ago. But, it will sound cool and everyone knows impressing Starbucks baristas is the only reason to spend this much money on a truck.