Ford Says Its New 7.3-Liter V8 Can Fit In The F-150, Mustang

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As it stands now... the 7.3L engine is "designed" for SuperDuty trucks. "Designed" for towing not high speed. As it is "designed", it is not a candidate for the Raptor or Mustang.

If it was offered as a Raptor option, would you even want it in its current configuration? The only gain would be V8 sound... the HP and TQ will likely be near that of the current 3.5L HO, but weigh much more (+300lbs at least).

The 5.2L is the real candidate for a Gen 3 Raptor (in 2021-2022). Probably a NA base engine making close to current power levels with a Supercharger option above 600HP/600TQ.

I would absolutely want it. It offers a hell of a lot more than sound. It's got reliability, durability, and, more importantly, it's got serious power potential. Can you imagine what that thing will make with some headwork, a cam, and a big Whipple?

And what makes you think it will weigh 300 pounds more than the Ecoboost?

Also, what is the weight of a fully dressed 6.2 vs. a fully dressed 3.5? I've asked many times but I don't remember ever getting a solid answer.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I only heard of one issue that is widespread- some ticking noise they get after letting off the throttle. What other issues do the 2018 5.0 engines have?
oil consumption, cam phasers

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very unlikely the 7.3 would end up in a Raptor...

1) It's a iron block V-8 compared to an all aluminum V-6, while I don't know the exact weight difference, but I'm sure it's got to be close to 200 lbs
2) It would have to be a substantial increase in HP and torque....all that weight for 20-30 more HP & Torque?
3) An all aluminum 5.0/5.2 V-8 with forced induction would be "next" thing...or maybe a punched out 3.5 EB...

Now my perspective is from a guy who uses his truck off road who values suspension over power for the most part...my way of saying the weight increase doesn't help at all while desert running, and if I had a choice between a Gen3 Raptor with more power or more wheel travel, I'll take the 3.5 with more wheel travel every time...

My opinion...

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do I want my Raptor engine to be a close relative of the half million dollar, high revving, light-weight, twin-turboed, Le Mans winning Ford GT? Or an inexpensive, low-revving, heavy engine designed specifically for U-haul trucks? Hmmmmm, let me think about that........

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The 5.2L is the real candidate for a Gen 3 Raptor (in 2021-2022). Probably a NA base engine making close to current power levels with a Supercharger option above 600HP/600TQ.

Without a blower or turbos you will lose acceleration in gobs with a N/A 5.2. It doesn’t have the torque to spare down low. If Ford was going this route, they’d have punched out 6.2 to 6.5 or so. six and a half liters is a decent compromise between revs and torque for a pushrod engine, obviously the 6.2 would have been a lot more complex and have a bunch more potential.

The 7.3 ought to be good for around 500 foot pounds of torque, the Jenny is rated @ 510.
To me the big news is they are mating the 10 speed to this new gas engine and the PSD. That’s almost certainly going to help development of the next Raptor power plant.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do I want my Raptor engine to be a close relative of the half million dollar, high revving, light-weight, twin-turboed, Le Mans winning Ford GT? Or an inexpensive, low-revving, heavy engine designed specifically for U-haul trucks? Hmmmmm, let me think about that........

Cool story. Now let us know when one makes 600 horsepower without spinning a bearing.

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And what makes you think it will weigh 300 pounds more than the Ecoboost?

Physics and math...

7.3L = 446ci
3.5L = 213ci

132ci more displacement or ~38% more.

The 3.5L weighs about 400 pounds. 38% more is about 150lbs. Cast Iron is ~2.5 times heavier than Aluminum... 150 x 2.5= ~375lbs.

That's just the short block. The heads on the 7.3L will be Aluminum, but still larger than the 3.5L.

So... the 7.3L will weigh at least 300lbs more.

Last edited:

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is all very funny because when we get an 8 cylinder back in this truck, all the ecoboost people will be dumping theirs.