Ford Says Its New 7.3-Liter V8 Can Fit In The F-150, Mustang

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about location of the camshaft, I said pushrods. And yes, pushrods does have a correlation to high vs low revs as there's an increase likelihood of valve float with pushrods.

GM turned the 7.0L LS7 to 7000 RPMs. What's your OHC Ecoboost redline at?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If we were talking about the engine that lives in your imagination instead of the one that was recently introduced, you may have actually had a point.

So you think no more development can ever happen on this engine, right? Iron block for life since it was first introduced that way, right?

If so, Ford's history with their V8s over the last 20+ years clearly says you are wrong.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you think no more development can ever happen on this engine, right? Iron block for life since it was first introduced that way, right?

If so, Ford's history with their V8s over the last 20+ years clearly says you are wrong.

That's not what I said. It's also not the topic. The engines you're talking about do not exist. Can they? Sure. Do they? Nope. Are there any rumors that they will? No. The only place this exists is squarely in your imagination.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah, but @EricM has some valid points. The modular v8’s were Ford’s foray into parts commonality and he’s right we did see aluminum block versions of formerly iron block engines.

sure, the 7.3 is still just a “soon to be” Ford and only (publicly) planned for the super duty. Of course, Ford is pretty good at keeping the lid on what power plant is ending up in what car/truck.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, but @EricM has some valid points. The modular v8’s were Ford’s foray into parts commonality and he’s right we did see aluminum block versions of formerly iron block engines.

sure, the 7.3 is still just a “soon to be” Ford and only (publicly) planned for the super duty. Of course, Ford is pretty good at keeping the lid on what power plant is ending up in what car/truck.

Not denying any of that. Doesn't change the facts though. The engine he's talking about does not exist and there's no indication that it's in the works. Sure that could change, but until it does, it's all just pie in the sky at this point. I mean why stop there, we can talk about all kinds of engines that don't exist and everyone would have a point as long as the proposed engine is physically possible for Ford to make.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about location of the camshaft, I said pushrods. And yes, pushrods does have a correlation to high vs low revs as there's an increase likelihood of valve float with pushrods. And lower revving engines typically favor torque over hp. SO there's a correlation there too.

There's no real correlation there. Point is, pushrods are more than capable of revving well beyond what any street engine will ever see. There's a FAR stronger correlation between low end power vs high end power in the bore:stroke ratio and intake system.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's no real correlation there. Point is, pushrods are more than capable of revving well beyond what any street engine will ever see. There's a FAR stronger correlation between low end power vs high end power in the bore:stroke ratio and intake system.

I don't know how you define capabilities, but I've seen plenty of bent pushrods from over-revving. And while I agree that there's a stronger correlation between power and bore/stroke, that doesn't mean it's the only correlation.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know how you define capabilities, but I've seen plenty of bent pushrods from over-revving. And while I agree that there's a stronger correlation between power and bore/stroke, that doesn't mean it's the only correlation.

Sure, yeah, I can remember back when the theory on the street was that the LS1 had soft pushrods as a safety valve for when people missed shifts. Parts selection is important.

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As it stands now... the 7.3L engine is "designed" for SuperDuty trucks. "Designed" for towing not high speed. As it is "designed", it is not a candidate for the Raptor or Mustang.

If it was offered as a Raptor option, would you even want it in its current configuration? The only gain would be V8 sound... the HP and TQ will likely be near that of the current 3.5L HO, but weigh much more (+300lbs at least).

The 5.2L is the real candidate for a Gen 3 Raptor (in 2021-2022). Probably a NA base engine making close to current power levels with a Supercharger option above 600HP/600TQ.