Ford Recall Field Service Alert 18N03 | Door Latch Freezing Concerns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would think this would be something that they would be able to fix without seeing it happen themselves. There can't be that many things attributable to this issue.
You would think. It was there 2 weeks ago and the performed the recommended “fix” on all 4 doors according to fords specs. But it did not work for my truck. Lucky me I guess. Lol

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happened to me on thanksgiving morning, picking up my father in law (who is a die hard toyota guy) in my shiny new raptor with 1500 miles, he goes to close the door and it wont latch. He had to hold the door closed until we got to thanksgiving dinner - to which i didnt hear the end of it lol. It was -9 with wind and i washed the truck the day before so something froze. I didnt think much of it until i started looking. Dealer told me it is not a recall on my 18 but to bring it in and they would look at it, he made it seem like no big deal. I havent had a another problem but i guess i need to bring it in.

shrinky

Reaction score
same thing a couple weeks ago. Left passenger door on SCREW did not latch and did get it to close finally with repeat locks but then could not open it again. at some point it worked again and my fix is to start the engine in the morning before getting in lol

Rob O

Reaction score
I am pretty sure this is a supercab only recall. Known issue with supercabs with the suicide doors.
Definitely not limited to SCabs. My 2015 Platinum SCrew suffered the freezing locks problem. Bought Sep 2015. That winter, the doors wouldn't unlock. No way in but to remote start and let run (2 cycles) so the interior heated up enough for the lock mechanisms to function. My truck was the first in Washington state to have the initial TSB performed. They had it for several days, with the job booking at like 10-12 hours. Then in winter 2016, my doors unlocked in freezing temps, but the rear doors would not latch when shut ... they just bounced open. Had the truck in for what was then a revised TSB for this problem, by then widely know with the 2015+ F150 community. In Dec 2017, while staying at a ski area, the rear doors again refused to close when shut. I had to bungee cord them closed, which of course wasn't tight enough to keep the running boards from deploying as I went around every curve (forcing me to manually stow and disable those in the system.

I had enough of that shit and planned to leave the brand. Between the freezing lock issue and pano roof problems -- twice popping when going to open, then getting stuck in full open position -- I couldn't see keeping that truck or buying a new one. Ended up in a 2018 Raptor SCrew anyway ... and now it too has the freezing lock recall notice (third recall, by the way, since taking delivery in June!)

Larry Jeffords

Reaction score
I wash my little ruby A LOT. I’ve had the drivers door freeze twice. Getting in was fairly easy however the door would not latch closed until it warmed up a bit. Giant PITA. I knew about the recall so when it appeared on FordPass I immediately scheduled the service. I have a great deal of trust in my dealer’s service department. Although they needed up keeping a second day, the mechanism felt much sturdier to me after the upgrade. May be just me, hopefully not.

FWIW - if you live in an area subject to colder weather, just do it. It’s free.

BendSprinter

Reaction score
Just told by my dealer, Robberson Ford, that the parts for this fix are back ordered until “around” the first of the year. Check back with them then.....Not really any other dealers local. Said he has a bunch of customers waiting for the parts.

Classic!

Last edited:

invalidusername

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a freezing problem but it doesn't seem like this latch recall. Is that the actual mechanism that latches to the metal U on the body that freezes?
When it was super cold out one of my lock actuators stopped working. Unlock or lock button it does nothing. Manually pulling up the little stick will allow the door to unlock. Is that the problem?

Rob O

Reaction score
I had a freezing problem but it doesn't seem like this latch recall. Is that the actual mechanism that latches to the metal U on the body that freezes?
When it was super cold out one of my lock actuators stopped working. Unlock or lock button it does nothing. Manually pulling up the little stick will allow the door to unlock. Is that the problem?
Doesn't sound like it. When my F150 Platinum suffered the 'won't unlock' issue, it didn't matter if the lock pulls ("little stick") were up or down. Key in door, key remote, keypad, fob, keyless (touch to unlock) ... doesn't matter; whatever method of unlocking the lock mechanism doesn't respond (won't unlock).

MtopRaptor

Reaction score
Happened to me here in NE Pennsylvania on Black Friday, we had some freezing rain event. Notified dealer and have an appointment on the 14th for the carpet recall.

Has anyone had this done yet? If so how long does it take?

Another item I have is the roof rattle, I checked the plastic arms the guide the roof and they are cracking but not broken. Gotta get them replaced now too. $71k for truck, problems are free of charge....

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened to me here in NE Pennsylvania on Black Friday, we had some freezing rain event. Notified dealer and have an appointment on the 14th for the carpet recall.

Has anyone had this done yet? If so how long does it take?

Another item I have is the roof rattle, I checked the plastic arms the guide the roof and they are cracking but not broken. Gotta get them replaced now too. $71k for truck, problems are free of charge....
Judging by the username I see might be close to me. I’m NEPA also. What dealer do you have the appointment with?