Ford Recall Field Service Alert 18N03 | Door Latch Freezing Concerns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18RaptorOW

Reaction score
I had my 18S27 carpet shield and insulation work done yesterday which only took 3 hours. When I mentioned the 18N03 he said it wasn’t a recall and only needed to be done if I experienced the door latch giving me an issue. I guess we shall see as I live in California and don’t experience colder than 40 degrees.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I'd risk the door latch freezing before I let the dealer break all the door panel clips trying to install a chunk of foam in my door.

Dude, it’s not all that. I pulled the door panels to replace the speakers without harm, so it’s safe to say trained chimpanzees can do it. Nowhere near as bad as pulling the grille apart.

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, had the door latch issue this morning. North East Pa, 28 degrees out. Went out at 5:30 to go to work and the rear doors wouldn’t open, like the handles were a little frozen. Thought nothing of it and gave a pull and the drivers door opened. All good. Throw my stuff in the back, go to the passenger side, same thing. Ok no big deal, door opened, throw my stuff in. Now the doors won’t latch. Won’t stay shut. No matter what I do. They are currently ratchet strapped together holding them closed. Waiting for the dealer to open so I can call.

Raptor Popo

Reaction score
I have a '17... rear passenger door did this last year, took it to dealer, of course couldn't replacate the issue... it's done it twice in the last week in only that door. It will eventually free up once interior of truck is warm. Located in western PA with temps around 30-32 in mornings, so far. Taking it to dealer end of the month, again...

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped it off when the dealer opened. Picked it up last night in 11” of snow. Dealer said they fixed all 4 doors. Everything worked this morning. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen again.

Raptor Popo

Reaction score
Picking up truck from service tomorrow... after 3 days of them having truck they say the doors should be fixed. Had this recall done last year and tech at garage said it won't fix the problem. He said this recall puts a shield over the locking mechanism and if that doesn't work they have to put some sort of apoxy around lock mechanism...(I didn't read the full recall) this is what they did to mine. Tech said mine was the first they had to do this to and the service bulletin was over 60 pages and it was pure hell, according to him... not a raptor specific issue and this dealer had 5 more trucks waiting for same fix... we'll see if it actually cures the problem... Western PA truck ('17 screw)...

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is back at the dealer for the doors again. But could not replicate the problem all week. So I’m picking it up today and going to have to wait until it’s gets below freezing here again I guess. Dealer has done over 80 trucks so far. Said they have 2 techs dedicated to just this issue everyday. They did say it is a moisture/freezing problem, but have to wait until my doors won’t open again to see the actual problem.

Derail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is back at the dealer for the doors again. But could not replicate the problem all week. So I’m picking it up today and going to have to wait until it’s gets below freezing here again I guess. Dealer has done over 80 trucks so far. Said they have 2 techs dedicated to just this issue everyday. They did say it is a moisture/freezing problem, but have to wait until my doors won’t open again to see the actual problem.

You would think this would be something that they would be able to fix without seeing it happen themselves. There can't be that many things attributable to this issue.