Ford Raptor Steering Knuckle and Tie Rod Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
He works like a good little Asian should.

It was hilarious watching him pounding Monsters and chain smoking while doing these installs. He was a blur.

Is there any other way? I can barely find my socks in the morning until I'm on the brink of a heart attack from all the stimulants passing through my blood stream.

RangerRob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great write-up. I just received my SDHQ spindle gussets in the mail. I won't be burning them on until next month, but when the time comes I'll definitely reference this thread if needed. As for the Double Sheer brackets, I don't see why they wouldn't work with the RPG steering rods. As long as the outer heim is 3/4" like SDHQ's it shouldn't be a problem.

-Rob

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
From what I understand, if you get the gussets to be welded by a shop yourself, isn't it paramount to make sure they know how to weld on cast steel or is it a non-factor? I seem to remember something about there being a potential problem of having the knuckle warp on the welder if they don't weld it correctly?

Honestly glad that SDHQ is offering these as a complete package and already welded.

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Funny I read this thread and decided this needed to be on my mod list. Now my truck is sitting waiting to have messed up tie rods fixed. I know for certain I will do this sooner rather than later now. Especially if they don't fix it under warranty.

D

Deleted member 12951

Subscribed. Ordered the Knuckles with double shear and the tie rods. I was also going to get the tie rod boots from SDHQ because one of my factory boots has a rip and figured having a spare boot would be a good thing. Does anyone know what the difference between the SDHQ boot and Ford OEM boot would be? Looks like you have to trim the SDHQ boot too with their own tie rod? I noticed the knuckle does not come painted or powdercoated. Is there a reason @BIRDMAN painted his or was it just for looks? I have the AMSOIL HDMP to coat it.

Ford Raptor Tie Rod Boot

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, if you get the gussets to be welded by a shop yourself, isn't it paramount to make sure they know how to weld on cast steel or is it a non-factor? I seem to remember something about there being a potential problem of having the knuckle warp on the welder if they don't weld it correctly?

Honestly glad that SDHQ is offering these as a complete package and already welded.

It's not too bad.
You do need to select the proper filler, as always, need to control cooling rate and preheat.
A sand box is the way to go for insulating the cooling cycle.

If you just fire up the old mig, blast them on there, and let them air cool, they will have little structural integrity.