Ford Raptor R July 18th Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can see people throwing on 35’s to pick up faster street times. If this truck can run with the TRX on 37’s however, then that’s big. I don’t see TRX guys squeezing on 37’s to go slower. Power to weight ratio goes to the Raptor and they tuned this version of the predator for low to mid TQ as is needed for a truck.

I can't imagine Ford would develop this, but didn't bother to have a TRX or two around to do some testing against. It surely will at least match the TRX in road speed tests.

Saw the Savage Geese interview with the program director, and really got the impression that Ford doesn't want to frame the R as a response to the TRX. Really emphasized that the Raptor was built to handle the bigger engine option, thus before TRX was a competitor, and that it was a response to customer requests. It makes sense that Ford wouldn't mention stuff like 0-60 times just yet to downplay comparisons.

Lupa

Reaction score
Glad Ford is producing it, but it's not for me. My current 2020 is plenty fast and fairly economical to operate. I live in South Carolina and have taken it on 4 hunting trips to the rockies, 1 hunt in west texas and a moose hunt in Newfoundland. The gen 2 has performed flawlessly in every type of weather and off road situation I can think of. It would give me a horribly wasteful feeling to spend that much on a truck that is significantly more expensive to operate and continue to utilize as I would. I'll bet the R is going to be a very short lived run because technology is going the other way. What would have been truly impressive is if Ford would have engineered a F1 type of hybrid system for the Raptor R that doesn't have an electric motor but boosts power by recovering energy from braking and heat capture. That's the type of innovation that would have sent dodge back to the drawing board, instead dodge has successfully pulled Ford backwards technology wise.
As far as the R against the Ram Craptor goes, I have to believe as heavy as the TRX is that a regular gen 2 raptor would be superior to it in the baja arena that these trucks are supposedly designed for.

Burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am dumbfounded that Ford came in under the TRX in their hp rating - they had their opportunity and failed - maybe their logic was if we don't come in over then Dodge won't one up them again on hp, if that is the case that's a horrible strategy - either way this is quite disappointing

Meanwhile I continue to wait for my 37" - '22 which was a '21 and likely now will be a '23

Last edited:

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Proof is in the pudding. Specs, numbers are just that. I have seen vehicles blow away other’s of greater spec in the past on the race track. Time will tell who is the performance winner. Numbers are too close to call.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What would have been truly impressive is if Ford would have engineered a F1 type of hybrid system for the Raptor R that doesn't have an electric motor but boosts power by recovering energy from braking and heat capture.

How does that work? I mean, for braking, you can't use that power right away, so it has to be stored in a battery of some sort, right? How to use battery power without an electric motor? Or is it a mechanical battery of some sort, a fly wheel perhaps?