Ford Raptor Fuel Pump Fuse Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...it happened to me (2013 Screw, 11,561 miles). I was at the end of a freeway onramp, accelerating to merge with traffic when the engine died. No power steering, no power brakes. I was able to pull over to the shoulder with 65-70 mph traffic coming at me. Once I was on the shoulder, I got it started again and drove home with no issues. After I got home, I plugged in the OBDII and didn't get any trouble codes. I did a quick forum search and came upon this thread. I checked the 27 fuse and sure enough the plastic casing was burnt to a crisp just like the ones in every other pic posted. I ordered the Ford EL3Z-14293-AFuse Relocation Kit from Amazon for $19 and received it in 2 days. Took 45 minutes to install it and done deal.

Thanks to FRF and the posters on this thread for doing what Ford failed/refused to do.....NOTIFY THE OWNERS of affected trucks of this hazardous issue. Unfortunately I don't get on the forums much so I missed this post. If I'd known about this issue and the existence of the TSB, I would have spent the $19 and 45 minutes long ago and not waited for a near tragic incident to find out about it. This is a design flaw that can have deadly results. They know about the problem and yet all they do is come up with a TSB that owners aren't notified of and some service writers don't even know about. If there's any issue that warrants a RECALL, this is it. Ford obviously hasn't learned any lessons from the Pinto and Exploder. Bottom line is they'd rather pay out a few million dollars on a few annoying wrongful death suits than half a billion for a full blown recall. Such short sighted "United Airlines" way of thinking. If not anything else, at least send out a letter or email advising owners to check the 27 fuse and the TSB. Lord knows I get enough of those with oil change and tire rotation coupons so I know they have my contact info.

34079445762_563d40aa50_b.jpg

34105778561_0e5747a406_b.jpg

Funny thing, the same week that my engine died while entering the freeway, I received this letter in the mail. For the record, my Raptor has had no issues except for this one incident and continues to run fine after the TSB.

34105775151_95409b01c0_b.jpg
I got the same letter lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck has been stalling out while idling, and I took it into ford but no codes were noted, but I told them to let it sit there & idle and will stall. It took 10 minutes to stall, and I told them about the TSB. They did the relocation kit for like $99.30 under the Extended Warranty. But my truck conitues to hesitate while idling. Do any of you have any idea what could be causing it to hesitate? (fuel pump going bad, bad fuel etc...) I will be eventually be taking it back to stealership, since the problem has not been resolved.

Hawkeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started the process for a safety recall in Canada, even though I won in arbitration. My safety file seems to have dropped into an abyss. I have have heard nothing since raising the issue and sending in photos almost one year ago.

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck had the upgraded fuse but in the stock location. I bought an entire spare fuse box to get parts for another project.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/using-oe-fuse-block-under-hood-power-50161/

While I was in there I did the same mod. the wiring kit does with a spare fuse and terminal from all the parts left over. Now I never have to worry about it.

I'm a sucker for factory tools so I also bought and used the Ford Splice Kit like the TSB suggests. You'll cut the wire that feeds the fuel pump from the original location, splice in a maxi-fuse terminal and then place it in position #70.

I made some labels for the fuse box lid as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1868.jpg
    IMG_1868.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1869.jpg
    IMG_1869.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1870.jpg
    IMG_1870.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 162

MattGuyver

Reaction score
I should have known to search up FRF while waiting on the tow truck but I was too busy fighting with Ford Roadside Assistance.

Anyhow, was passing a slower vehicle yesterday at 70mph while ascending a hill here in Colorado when Raptor (30k miles) went bang, lost all power, flashed low oil pressure, and left me gliding through Sunday traffic while pulling a trailer with my 8YO son wide eyed. Engine would crank but no sign of life. Sat in a crappy tow truck for 4 hours with my dog and my son eating a sandwich from a gas station all the way to Medved in Castle Rock. Of course, they were closed on Sunday but took a chance and left it there. Headed down there this morning (Monday) and was told it would be prioritized and looked at today. Called at noon and was then told they wouldn't be able to get to it this WEEK. Not giving them any more of my business, especially after being told they were jacking up the MSRP of new Raptors more than $10k.

Spent a few minutes browsing through these forums, grabbed a 20A fuse and headed down to the dealer to get my keys. Swapped out fuse 27, started the truck right up and drove out of the MedVed lot with my middle finger up. (All true except the middle finger part.) Ordered jumper harness part WT56872 for $12 today.

My question now is: Why hasn't FORD sent out a recall on this matter??? It took all I had to get me, my son, the truck, and trailer safely off the highway and even then I was slightly blocking the right lane for several hours until help arrived.

GEOSURVEY

Reaction score
Could this be my problem?
2014 Raptor, 34,900 miles
Yesterday when accelerating from a stop the truck hesitated and seemed to be losing power the more I pushed on the accelerator. I was able to limp back to my office, parked it and went back to work. When I was leaving to go home last night the truck started but was shuddering badly and was unresponsive when I tried to give it gas it shut down completely. I tried to start it a few more times, it would almost start, shudder a bit then nothing. My first thought was that was not getting fuel so must be a fuel filter or fuel pump. I got on FRF and this came up. Went out and checked the #27 fuse and it looks good. Has anyone had this problem without the burnt fuse? I saw where post #224 said that fuse #78 was also burnt but that one is also good. Is there other issues that others have had that would cause this? I checked the oil level and it is also good. I'm afraid to disconnect the battery and have it start back up because the dealership may say they can't do anything unless the symptoms exist. Wow, I took delivery July 14, 2014 so I still under warranty so I guess I will get it towed to the dealership.

Last edited:

GEOSURVEY

Reaction score
Update

So i checked another thread "Cranks but won't start" by nrselle, specifically post #17 by Dalamar, below is an part of his post (in red):

There's basically 4 things to check if this happens:
1- Fuse in front dist box under the hood - Fuel pump relay power (Fuse 27)
2- Fuel pump Relay (R8) (pic shows 7, but it's 8)
3- Fuel pump control module
4- Fuel pump itself, in the tank.
it's also possible that your fuel filter is completely plugged, but I didn't really look into that.
Troubleshooting tips:
1- Fuse - pull and stare

2- Relay - have someone turn key while you're pinching the relay, you will feel it click. if no click, try swapping with another and see if the other one works.

3- FPCM - have someone turn the key while you're down under the truck. you will hear the pump prime for 2 sec.
To change: Lower spare tire, it is mounted to the sub-frame above spare (pic below)
all you need to do this is a 10 mm wrench/socket. I also removed the ground wire next to it, scraped the frame where it made contact and re-tightened it.

After I changed out the module on mine, tuned the key to on, heard the prime.... then it fired right up!

4- Pump - if you know it's getting power, and the FPCM is working, your pump is probably bad, you'll have to drop the tank, R & R.

I had already checked #1 so I went on to #2. I first pulled the pump relay (R8) and inspected, it looked good so i stuck it back in. I had a coworker turn the key while i squeezed the relay and it clicked like it should. I asked him to try to start the truck and it started.
I'm going to take it to the dealership and talk to them about doing fuse 27 fix and hope this will take care of the problem. I will update when I find out more.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is BS.

I am upset Ford even thinks it's reasonable to post such non-sense. I just read the TSB - http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f183...rt-stalling-%96-2009-2014-ford-f-150-a-45186/
Basically has the truck failed or showing signs of failure? If not then do nothing. Wait undersized wiring/fuses take time to show signs of wear, unless grossly undersized. Then at that it's only how well the tech actually checks.
Granted maybe it's more relational to certain fuel pumps used, but I would think they could track that. Hell even at that at least measure the fuel pump running amps!
If I hadn't moved I'd bet my dealer would just take care of this. Another thing to add to the list, but again really should be a recall.

hellhearse

Reaction score
This just happened to me yesterday while doing 70+ on a mountain highway during afternoon traffic. Not fun!! I wish I would have seen this sooner. I already gave the dealer a green light to do the repair ($300). It's BS that this wasn't a recall. I have filed a complaint as suggested.

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is BS.

I am upset Ford even thinks it's reasonable to post such non-sense. I just read the TSB - http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f183...rt-stalling-%96-2009-2014-ford-f-150-a-45186/
Basically has the truck failed or showing signs of failure? If not then do nothing. Wait undersized wiring/fuses take time to show signs of wear, unless grossly undersized. Then at that it's only how well the tech actually checks.
Granted maybe it's more relational to certain fuel pumps used, but I would think they could track that. Hell even at that at least measure the fuel pump running amps!
If I hadn't moved I'd bet my dealer would just take care of this. Another thing to add to the list, but again really should be a recall.

Mine wouldn't start after an 8 hour drive to Salt Lake, checked fuse 27, melted. luckily I just put in a new fuse and made it back. Took it to the dealer with melted fuse, TSB and relocation kit PN in hand. "Sorry that will have to be covered under your ESP". Sonsabitches. Ordered the kit from Tasca, had it 3 days later. ****** me off that Ford won't even pick up the tab for this problem.