Ford put 400 miles on my Raptor during warranty work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I loved this story when it first hit the Raptor airwaves many years ago! Now that everything is resolved to the OP satisfaction, your post made me laugh out loud at the thought of the mechanic taking it for a short test drive in the woods.

I've seen the video a hundred times but never really ever heard the backstory. PM me if there is a link or story somewhere.

OP
OP
D

DrJacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so no detailed explanation as per agreement: Check
No pictures or video per agreement: Check
Happy, Happy, Happy for you! : Check

Details about this stealth video cam that saved your @$$: Umm....umm....umm

It’s a BlackVue so pretty low profile to begin with. Also I had the radar detector in the pictures below out of the truck during service.

Still can’t believe I have a new Raptor on the way and a new trip to Raptor Assault in my future!

Thanks again for all the help guys!

709851B4-35A8-4286-B486-107C38F4B37C.jpeg

09B96573-2517-495A-9D36-2DED8F80F855.jpeg

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Feel for you. Really. The legal profession (and I use that term loosely) is in the business of leaching. We are at least in the top 3 or 4 countries in terms of number of lawyers per capita. As a doc, I’ve seen literally dozens of frivolous lawsuits thrown at me and colleagues. Fortunate to have never settled or lost. Just a huge waste of time and money; and such a huge amount of stress. Lawyers made out like bandits in every case; their clients got nothing or lost money, and I lost money. Sorry for my rant but you struck a nerve. Impossible to change. Torte reform would require the Senate and House to pass a bill...but that’s impossible...cuz they are mostly....yeah, that’s right...Lawyers.

A large yacht carrying dozens of people crashed and sank in shark infested waters. Over the ensuing several hours, every person save one was systematically ripped to shreds by the growing frenzy of sharks. A trial lawyer reached the shore unscathed. When asked what happened, he simply said “Professional Courtesy”.
Yeah, you saw that one coming.
Isn’t that why you have insurance? For medical malpractice lawsuits for move forward, there would have to be at least one doctor in your field willing to testify against you. If one of your colleagues is calling foul, then it’s not a frivolous lawsuit even if you ultimately prevail. Get off your high horse. Doctors **** up too just like everyone else and if it weren’t for lawyers keeping you on your toes, your profession would be full of hacks. That’s a good thing for our society.

Again, this was more of a customer service issue than a legal issue and it was clearly resolved.

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn’t that why you have insurance? For medical malpractice lawsuits for move forward, there would have to be at least one doctor in your field willing to testify against you. If one of your colleagues is calling foul, then it’s not a frivolous lawsuit even if you ultimately prevail. Get off your high horse. Doctors **** up too just like everyone else and if it weren’t for lawyers keeping you on your toes, your profession would be full of hacks. That’s a good thing for our society.

Again, this was more of a customer service issue than a legal issue and it was clearly resolved.

What a mindless ignorant and uninformed statement. It’s hard to even respond to the level of ignorance you expressed. I am well aware physicians make mistakes and I do not doubt and have even seen malpractice. If you think a lawsuit requires even a single doctor in my field willing to testify against me to move forward, you are mistaken. There is a network of paid (usually non-practicing) physicians who will testify for whoever pays them sufficiently and they do not have to be in someone’s “field”. For many, that is ALL they do. Malpractice insurance is exorbitant due to the glut of frivolous lawsuits in which only the lawyers (and their paid “experts”) make money. When people complain about the high cost of medical care, a large portion of it is directly due to malpractice for physicians, hospitals drug companies, etc. You and society are paying the price of our malpractice with the only beneficiaries being the lawyers. Lawyers do not “keep us on our toes”... the presence of that malpractice risk results in bad medical practice which has been documented over and over again. You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about yet it’s your type of uninformed ignorance which prevents any type of torte reform from occurring. Yet even the obvious type of reform where the “loser pays” is fought tooth and nail because it would decrease the number of frivolous lawsuits and lawyers themselves would have to take a risk. As it stands, there’s no risk to them...it is ALL reward no matter the outcome (unless they take the case pro-bono but I’ve yet to see that where I live). There is nothing good “for our society” under the current system. There’s actually a court bias in our state that the vast majority of malpractice cases are without merit (this comes from a district court judge for the US who is a friend) so when a case with merit comes through, it has a poorer chance to actually proceed to a trial as the system is inured to the belief that the case is likely without merit.

Last edited:

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a mindless ignorant and uninformed statement. It’s hard to even respond to the level of ignorance you expressed. I do not doubt physicians make mistakes. I do not doubt and have even seen malpractice. If you think a lawsuit requires even a single doctor in my field willing to testify against me to move forward, you are mistaken. There is a network of paid (usually non-practicing) physicians who will testify for whoever pays them sufficiently. For many, that is ALL they do. Malpractice insurance is exorbitant due to the glut of frivolous lawsuits in which only the lawyers make money. When people complain about the high cost of medical care, a large portion of it is directly due to malpractice for physicians, hospitals drug companies, etc. You and society are paying the price of our malpractice with the only beneficiaries being the lawyers. Lawyers do not “keep us on our toes”... the presence of that fear results in bad medical practice which has been documented over and over again. You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about yet it’s your type of uninformed ignorance which prevents any type of torte reform from occurring.
That’s a myth. Med mal accounts for less than 5% of healthcare cost (see link below). And yes, you will find physicians who will disagree on your standard of care, but that doesn’t mean it’s frivolous. Frivolous means a claim there was no basis for the claim. Lawyers in med mal cases typically earn their fee on a percentage of recovery, which means that they don’t get paid if they don’t recover. This actually means that they will lose money taking on losing cases. And when they do recover money, the client gets the lion share (typically 2/3). I can understand your bias since you don’t like patients suing you, but to say that they were all just shaking you down is your denial. I’m going to guess you probably did hurt someone, but that harm was a result of a normal risk in getting treatment and your lawyers proved that your actions met the physician’s standard of care. You wouldn’t have been sued if your patient wasn’t hurt and there was some prospect that you breached the standard of care (based on another physician’s opinion).

I know a quite a few doctors and none have been sued by their patients. Your history of getting sued by your patients makes you either reckless or just unlucky. Doesn’t matter as long as you’re not my doctor.

The insurance lobbyists push for tort reforms and have you convinced that frivolous medical malpractice lawsuits is a huge reason for high health care cost despite no empirical evidence. Medical malpractice may factor into higher health care cost since it requires physicians to be extra cautious (and buy insurance) but that’s not the same as “frivolous lawsuits”.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rickun...t-of-medical-malpractice-it-may-surprise-you/

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a myth. Med mal accounts for less than 5% of healthcare cost (see link below). And yes, you will find physicians who will disagree on your standard of care, but that doesn’t mean it’s frivolous. Frivolous means a claim there was no basis for the claim. Lawyers in med mal cases typically earn their fee on a percentage of recovery, which means that they don’t get paid if they don’t recover. This actually means that they will lose money taking on losing cases. And when they do recover money, the client gets the lion share (typically 2/3). I can understand your bias since you don’t like patients suing you, but to say that they were all just shaking you down is your denial. I’m going to guess you probably did hurt someone, but that harm was a result of a normal risk in getting treatment and your lawyers proved that your actions met the physician’s standard of care. You wouldn’t have been sued if your patient wasn’t hurt and there was some prospect that you breached the standard of care (based on another physician’s opinion).

I know a quite a few doctors and none have been sued by their patients. Your history of getting sued by your patients makes you either reckless or just unlucky. Doesn’t matter as long as you’re not my doctor.

The insurance lobbyists push for tort reforms and have you convinced that frivolous medical malpractice lawsuits is a huge reason for high health care cost despite no empirical evidence. Medical malpractice may factor into higher health care cost since it requires physicians to be extra cautious (and buy insurance) but that’s not the same as “frivolous lawsuits”.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rickun...t-of-medical-malpractice-it-may-surprise-you/
And now unjustified insinuation is heaped on continued ignorance. Are you unaware that there are different types of physicians with each specialty vastly different in the number of claims brought against them. And that some specialties are often thrown into lawsuits of other physicians because their names are in the patients record somewhere. A good example would be a Radiologist who may read 15-20,000 exams in a year at the request of hundreds of different physicians. Surgeons have an annual claim risk of between 12 and 19%....annually! So to not be sued at least a few times in some specialties would be unusual.

I’ll admit, my definition of frivolous may differ from yours. Where there is no evidence of error in any fact finding investigation would be my definition; just because someone had a poor outcome does not preclude the lawsuit from being frivolous. Perhaps “baseless” or “unjustified” would be better terms.

Last edited:

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
I would now consider the situation to be resolved. The GM bent over backwards to make things right. I am really impressed with his professionalism.

I’ve agreed not to ever post the video. The owner worked so hard to fix things, I wouldn’t want any negative publicity to come to his business as a result of this mechanic. It’s not the GM’s fault what the mechanic did and the GM did everything he could to address it to my satisfaction.

I’m sorry to all those waiting for the video. It’s not THAT exciting though - no jumping or burnouts.

I will see if I can post a pic of the dash cam install that some have asked for.
Is the mechanic still employed?