Ford Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
True but the point is a tune definitely voids your warranty. With a Piggy back that is non traceable once removed the dealer would have to prove it which I doubt would happen.

Yeah, if you pop your motor and they go back and check the logs and see youre running 21 pounds of boost, when stock is 18, have fun explaining that. the truck has a data recorder, if anything fails, and you have anything that increases power, they will be able to tell.

But if you sleep better at night thinking a piggyback is okay, more power to you.

cmacclel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if you pop your motor and they go back and check the logs and see youre running 21 pounds of boost, when stock is 18, have fun explaining that. the truck has a data recorder, if anything fails, and you have anything that increases power, they will be able to tell.

But if you sleep better at night thinking a piggyback is okay, more power to you.

Yes I agree but the point is with a conventional tune they have the proof that you modified the truck with piggybacks once removed there going to have to prove you added something then removed it. Yes a piggyback isn't guaranteed to preserve your warranty but a tune surely voids it if they do any digging. Also if the piggyback is telling the computer it has less boost than in fact it has at any current time the computer would not be recording a higher than stock boost pressure........right?

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree but the point is with a conventional tune they have the proof that you modified the truck with piggybacks once removed there going to have to prove you added something then removed it. Yes a piggyback isn't guaranteed to preserve your warranty but a tune surely voids it if they do any digging. Also if the piggyback is telling the computer it has less boost than in fact it has at any current time the computer would not be recording a higher than stock boost pressure........right?
Any factory tech worth their salt can tell if a piggyback was on the vehicle, it's not as simple as watching boost levels. There's dozens of parameters in the ECU, you can monitor injector flow and look at A/F on the O2's for example. If you blew an engine via modification and they want to find out, they will.

Nothing wrong with a piggyback at all, they're easy to install, low cost, give small gains. +40 hp is not even scratching the surface.

But I will just say that one of the blessings of a twin turbo EBC controlled engine is the ability to get big power gains for low cost and essentially no side effects with a quality tune... many guys here aren't familiar with a platform like this but it's kind of the holy grail for modders. You will be able to turn this from a 450 hp / 510 tq vehicle into a 550+ hp / 600+ tq vehicle for under $1000. We don't know the upper limits on a tune but it's going to be fun to see what they can push out of this little 3.5L, kind of like watching what people did with Nissan GT-R's.

cmacclel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any factory tech worth their salt can tell if a piggyback was on the vehicle, it's not as simple as watching boost levels. There's dozens of parameters in the ECU, you can monitor injector flow and look at A/F on the O2's for example. If you blew an engine via modification and they want to find out, they will.

Nothing wrong with a piggyback at all, they're easy to install, low cost, give small gains. +40 hp is not even scratching the surface.

But I will just say that one of the blessings of a twin turbo EBC controlled engine is the ability to get big power gains for low cost and essentially no side effects with a quality tune... many guys here aren't familiar with a platform like this but it's kind of the holy grail for modders. You will be able to turn this from a 450 hp / 510 tq vehicle into a 550+ hp / 600+ tq vehicle for under $1000. We don't know the upper limits on a tune but it's going to be fun to see what they can push out of this little 3.5L, kind of like watching what people did with Nissan GT-R's.

I never said they monitored just boost levels that was another members example. Believe me I know how things work I have been in this industry for 30 years. My point was a tune definitely voids your warranty if something happens and a piggy back might not......simple.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who gives a shit...we all just want more power. I bought a boostmax because that's all that's out. When a tune drops I'll buy one of those or several and when someone else drops a better tune I'll again buy another one. Got to pay to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked to FP today. Looks like tune won't be ready until mid summer.

Hearing so much on 5star..

Do you or anyone update from FP on their tune? This seems to be mid summer.. I use to have the FP number and secret code while I was checking status of my truck. I would check if the number didn't elude me now.

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone communicated with FP recently on the release their tune? Or from what seems to be the path, blessing Whipple's?

StrangeRaptor

Reaction score
I just reached out to them and asked: "Are you working on a tune for the 2018 Raptor or is that not happening?" They said "We are working on one. I would expect a late second quarter availability."