Ford Performance Rear Diff cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a nice diff cover, but I wouldn’t recommend installing on our Raptors. I’m the OP of this tread and I did a lot of research before deciding on the Ford Performance, also known as the Spicer, and these two are the only diff covers I’m aware if that have the factory contour to create the oil flow, the Ford engineers intended for the gears.
This. Plus i would not use an aluminum cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a nice diff cover, but I wouldn’t recommend installing on our Raptors. I’m the OP of this tread and I did a lot of research before deciding on the Ford Performance, also known as the Spicer, and these two are the only diff covers I’m aware if that have the factory contour to create the oil flow, the Ford engineers intended for the gears.

Plus the DANA (Spicer/Ford Performance) cover is the only cover that I know of that is made for the lifted Gen 2 show Raptors.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I emailed LPW Racing and asked about the contouring, and got a response within an hour.....Their cover is engineered with a very similar internal contour to the factory cover, but allows a bit more lube in there. The aluminum cover is heat treated to T6, and with the main girdle support, is far stronger than the factory cover. Real world testing has shown significant drops in lube temperatures both in road conditions and race conditions. There was no loss detected in lube efficiency. With the axle tube brace installed, you basically have the next best thing to a full race rear axle assembly.

There is no second hole for lifted rigs, but that shouldn't be any sweat to a Raptor owner anyway. Only a fool (poser) would put a lift kit on a Raptor.

Raptus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I emailed LPW Racing and asked about the contouring, and got a response within an hour.....Their cover is engineered with a very similar internal contour to the factory cover, but allows a bit more lube in there. The aluminum cover is heat treated to T6, and with the main girdle support, is far stronger than the factory cover. Real world testing has shown significant drops in lube temperatures both in road conditions and race conditions. There was no loss detected in lube efficiency. With the axle tube brace installed, you basically have the next best thing to a full race rear axle assembly.

There is no second hole for lifted rigs, but that shouldn't be any sweat to a Raptor owner anyway. Only a fool (poser) would put a lift kit on a Raptor.
@Johnny V Do you know who did the real world testing and was it done on a second generation Raptor? Do you know what the temperature differential was? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Temp drop is supposed to be 15 degrees plus....these guys are in PA, and I'm in WA, so I have to get with them on the phone and make an order, but there's three hours difference. When I get them on the phone I'll find out. Not sure it makes any difference Gen1 or Gen2, they both use the same rear end at the same power levels (for practical purposes).

or2baja

Reaction score
I managed to score a deal on a Spicer rear diff cover. Wasn’t surprised to see that it’s made in India. Very good quality on the paint and casting. Glad to see a magnetic drain plug too.

View attachment 144926 View attachment 144927

As I understand it, the screws are ***** and shear easily. Will reuse the original screws if they’re long enough. The gasket is good but slightly damaged. Ordered a Lube Locker anyway.

The badge rivets pulled out easily with just my finger nails. Everyone go out and check your badges especially the FP ones lol

I was planning to put a custom badge probably laser or water jet.
I have the spicer one as well. Over 115 less than the ford performance. I ran these spicer nodular iron diff covers on my jk and then upgrade to spicer dana 60’s which also came with this style iron diff covers. They are absolutely bomb proof.

Hagasan41

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you guys remove the spare when swaping covers? I may tackle mine this week.

I've only had the FP cover collecting dust for 2 months or so... LOL

Last edited:

GotBoost150

Reaction score

When I did mine I jacked up the truck under the rear diff, put Jack stands under the frame in front of rear tires, dropped the jack and the whole rear axle drop enough for all the clearance you need. I did the same when I swapped exhausts. Works great!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Yes, I took the spare out. You want to have the truck level.

Good idea to clean the wheel if you live in the salt belt.

Last edited: