Ford Performance Oil Filters Leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve used several different oil filters on my Raptor. I’ve used the stock one and a Royal Purple one with no issues at all. However, I’ve used the Ford Performance filter twice and not consecutively. Both times the Ford Performance filter started leaking. Has anyone else had this issue?

Note that I’m terrible about lubricating the gasket before I tighten the filter down. Curious if that is the cause or if there is a known issue with these filters.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, thats kinda part of the process for any filter so not sure where this convo will go but you’re already doing it wrong?

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May the bigger diameter makes it easier to overtighten. Or is it just longer? I forget.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do lube my FP filter and also now my Amsoil filter with no issues. I vaguely remember FordTechone saying the Ford procedure doesn’t say to lube the gasket.

OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil filter should be snug but not gorilla snug, just sayin.
I’m hand tightening the thing, so hard to understand how I would be over tightening. But, maybe I don’t know my own strength?

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve used several different oil filters on my Raptor. I’ve used the stock one and a Royal Purple one with no issues at all. However, I’ve used the Ford Performance filter twice and not consecutively. Both times the Ford Performance filter started leaking. Has anyone else had this issue?

Note that I’m terrible about lubricating the gasket before I tighten the filter down. Curious if that is the cause or if there is a known issue with these filters.
Yeah gaskets can be the cause of the leaking problem.

BigTaco

Reaction score
They leak, I’ve had 2 of them do this same thing on different vehicles. The FL500S is a great filter. Have used it on my Boss 302 Laguna for a decade without issues. They are easy to find everywhere as well.

HighHP

Reaction score
I have had a couple of filters leak. However, it was the gasket in each case. If you don't lube the gasket it may not seat properly when tightening???