Ford Performance Oil Filters Leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
You must oil the gasket on an oil filter to keep it from sticking and buckling as you hand tighten the filter. Also remember to check the old filter you removed to make sure the gasket is still on the old filter as a double gasket will certainly leak.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They leak, I’ve had 2 of them do this same thing on different vehicles. The FL500S is a great filter. Have used it on my Boss 302 Laguna for a decade without issues. They are easy to find everywhere as well.
I can't remember how to spell my 3rd kid's middle name, but I can order a FL 500s by memory and no issues with them to date.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They leak, I’ve had 2 of them do this same thing on different vehicles. The FL500S is a great filter. Have used it on my Boss 302 Laguna for a decade without issues. They are easy to find everywhere as well.
So why do you say it’s a good filter. I have failed to find any meaningful spec’s on that filter other than it flows more. That normally indicated less restrictions, which could mean less filtering. I would love to see test results.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
  • Laboratory Test Performance per ISO 454812: 18 Grams Dirt (NAPA Gold # 1515), 99% Efficient At 23 Microns (Based On NAPA Gold # 1515, 1356, 7060)
  • Something like this above

OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must oil the gasket on an oil filter to keep it from sticking and buckling as you hand tighten the filter. Also remember to check the old filter you removed to make sure the gasket is still on the old filter as a double gasket will certainly leak.
I learned the double gasket lesson the hard way when I was in high school. Started up my ‘98 Trans Am and all of the oil promptly drained out on the shop floor. I killed the engine before there was any damage, but it was a mess to clean up.

BigTaco

Reaction score
So why do you say it’s a good filter. I have failed to find any meaningful spec’s on that filter other than it flows more. That normally indicated less restrictions, which could mean less filtering. I would love to see test results.
The FL500S is a great filter. The leaking filter in question is the Ford Performance FL820S version. Ford recommends either filter in certain applications.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ll ask again, what in particular makes it great. A cool box that says racing? Does it filter smaller particles? Are you sure it’s not just a high flow filter meant to be thrown away after each race?

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dirt holding capacity is almost a useless data point. Who runs their oil for 20-30k miles? Holding capacity has a place in racing applications because you are maxing out your engine and doing some damage or wear the whole time. Micron filter rating is the key spec. for most of not all of use. Any of these or others like Pure one filters will be fine as long as you keep changing the oil frequently. A better place to keep engine wear low is the intake system and air filter. Keep the dirt out up front and filter flow and holding capacity is no longer the #1 consideration. Micron rating is.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll ask again, what in particular makes it great. A cool box that says racing? Does it filter smaller particles? Are you sure it’s not just a high flow filter meant to be thrown away after each race?
I watched the vid above your post and it goes into some good detail on it, towards the end he talks about the % filtration.