Ford Performance Diff Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m torn between this one and the mag hytec

I don’t have any experience with the mag hytec, I’m sure it is a good product, but I went with the ford performance/spicer one for a few reasons.

I did quite a few water crossings/mud holes on a weekend trip and wanted to change my fluid. The spicer one was unavailable so I paid a little more and got the FP one.

The FP one closely resembles the stock one and should not create any turbulence in the fluid, see banks engineering videos on diff covers.

I think foutz makes a skid plate that will fit the FP differential cover and I likely will get one of those.

Side note, I noticed a small leak after my last trip and I checked the bolts, almost half were so loose that I could hand tighten them. I put the 3/8 torque wrench on them and took them to 20ft*lbs. When I originally installed it, I used a 1/2” ratchet and got them tight, I did not have the ability to take them to 14 ft*lbs as prescribed in the instructions. I’ll keep an eye on them, but if they loosen again I may use loctite.

RaptorJoe92

Reaction score
Bumping this old topic because I can't find a clear answer anywhere...

When using the Ford Performance/Spicer diff cover are you guys filling to the top or bottom fill plug?

Bubbasuwannee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I had read that but I wasn't sure if Raptor suspension changed the angle compared to a regular F-150. Any chance you know how many quarts it takes?

It's about a quote more than factory. 3.5 quarts I believe total. Don't the bolts or gasket that comes with it. Use a lube locker gasket and the factory bolts or ARP bolts. Put out a video from the last time I installed one.

RaptorJoe92

Reaction score
It's about a quote more than factory. 3.5 quarts I believe total. Don't the bolts or gasket that comes with it. Use a lube locker gasket and the factory bolts or ARP bolts. Put out a video from the last time I installed one.

Spicer cover and lube locker gasket are in the garage waiting for install this weekend. Planned on reusing the factory bolts. I'll check out your video, thanks for the help!

Bubbasuwannee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spicer cover and lube locker gasket are in the garage waiting for install this weekend. Planned on reusing the factory bolts. I'll check out your video, thanks for the help!

Nice! Yea another thing is thread locker on the bolts and torque in a cross pattern to half torque then torque again to full torque.