Ford Performance Diff Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrSkunks

Reaction score
Installing the FP diff cover tomorrow and I see some conflicting information on torque spec for the bolts. Is the correct one 14 ft lbs?

Also I started to see recommendation for lube locker gaskets. Is the one that comes with it really that bad? Plan was to install tomorrow and I don’t think I’ll be able to get it by then

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed a Spicer last month. I believe they are exactly the same except a FP brand plate. Used the included gasket, torqed to 14ft/lb, noticed very slow leak one week later. Hand tighted a bit more, no problem after. My 3/8 torque wrench is cheap and from ebay many years ago, so big chance I didn't reach 14 ft/lb at all.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont worry your self over it...a few lbs either way isnt going to matter...and yes,I did the Lube-Locker..but again..unless your **** about stuff..its all gonna work out fine for you...

Gdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed mine yesterday, used the gasket that came with and torqued to 14flbs. Also did amsoil HDMP on the rear axel while I had the spare out. Looks awesome

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installing the FP diff cover tomorrow and I see some conflicting information on torque spec for the bolts. Is the correct one 14 ft lbs?

Also I started to see recommendation for lube locker gaskets. Is the one that comes with it really that bad? Plan was to install tomorrow and I don’t think I’ll be able to get it by then

Somewhat related....u should seal the FP label. Otherwise it will look like crap in no time. Had one on '17 and it held up well except for plate and rivets. Sealed the one I put on the new '20 and hope it holds up better.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Somewhat related....u should seal the FP label. Otherwise it will look like crap in no time. Had one on '17 and it held up well except for plate and rivets. Sealed the one I put on the new '20 and hope it holds up better.
What did you seal it with?

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did you seal it with?

May or may not work, but used clearcoat paint that I had in spray can. I did it before putting it on and definitely used more than normal.....bunch of wet coats. Been couple thousand miles since then and looks like holding up well from this picture I just took...no peeling or cracking of the paint yet.

20200927_143341.jpg

Gdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed a Spicer last month. I believe they are exactly the same except a FP brand plate. Used the included gasket, torqed to 14ft/lb, noticed very slow leak one week later. Hand tighted a bit more, no problem after. My 3/8 torque wrench is cheap and from ebay many years ago, so big chance I didn't reach 14 ft/lb at all.
I have a very slow drip coming from mine now . Like 2 drips in 24 hours. Did you use the included gasket or a lube locker gasket?

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a very slow drip coming from mine now . Like 2 drips in 24 hours. Did you use the included gasket or a lube locker gasket?

The gasket came with. Just tight the bolts a bit more. I did maybe 1/6-1/4 turn. But make sure you cleaned off the old sealant.