GEN 2 Ford GT oil in a Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One comment on weight specs, Porsche calls for 40W on the 911, 50 on the air cooled, IIRC. It isn't tolerances driving that weight spec from Porsche.

Running hard in the dunes, in Dubai, in summer, as long as it was full syn, I'd be more concerned with OC intervals than brand.

OP
OP
J

johnmh

Reaction score
Well the oil saga continues. Sort of.

The dealer mandates 10,000 km service intervals for a 2020 Raptor, but I change the oil myself at 5000 km intervals (my last truck had 430,000 km on the original engine and ran perfectly when I sold it, so I am comfortable with those intervals).

So the dealer does one oil change, then I do an intermediate one before it goes back to the dealer for the next one.

My truck only has 14,500 km on it so far.

I use Motul full synthetic 5w30, which is the only locally available 5w30 which meets all Ford specs, but the dealer insists on using Motorcraft 10w30 semi synthetic, as they do not import 5w30 Motorcraft full synthetic.

So, I can buy the Motul in bulk and ask the dealer to use it (which they will not warranty) or I can use their oil, which will not invalidate my warranty but is also not correct for the truck.

Anyone have any experience with the Motorcraft 10w30 semi synthetic? It is SN plus rated for turbocharged engines and I do not see a lot of cold morning engine start ups here. Maybe it is ok? The idea of swapping what oil I use with every oil change also seems less than ideal.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the end will your truck go this distance on a semi Synthetic? Maybe so. Will it provide as much protection and hold up as long between changes as a high quality full synthetic? I doubt it. I only run full synthetic. Not to mention a high output turbo charged engine at that. Doesn’t the latest manual for the truck strongly recommend full synthetic anyway?

Does Motul not carry the proper requirements for the motor? Are there restrictions on certain oils used in the country? Doesn’t Ford still determine and back the warranty vs the local dealer?

OP
OP
J

johnmh

Reaction score
Alas, as a buyer overseas, I am not certain what Ford will do. I will probably supply Motul full synthetic to the dealer when it goes in for service and fight to get them to lower the bill to account for the oil they are not selling to me.

If there is a warranty issue, I expect a fight, even though I insisted on the correct oil.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well good oil will keep you from failure in most cases. But if that dealer won’t honor any warranty, then that’s a problem. This is an overseas issue, can’t say I’m familiar with.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Funny how all the performance models except Raptor says 5w50. 3.5 rod bearings kind of narrow in my opinion. I ran 5w40 in my 14 tremor 3.5 without issue.

Attachments

• 1640118358357.png
    1640118358357.png
    524.4 KB · Views: 28

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just learned a ton from Gale Banks video on oil. A lot of good information if you have the time. Not a Amsoil person but this is interesting. Interesting that most oil shears pretty quick down to lower viscosity then starts to thicken again as it oxidizes.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow this is really complex stuff, but I learned a lot. I use the product, but didn’t know the half of it.

WhoShotJR

Reaction score
I have not watched the Banks video, so will not comment on it. But if you want to learn about oil, approvals and how things like HTHS, etc affect your engine head over to Bobistheoilguy.com. Some very very intelligent folks over there who are actual stakeholders in the petroleum game- ie folks who were involved in the actual testing of certain European Specifications (such as Porsche A40, Mercedes 229.5, etc). I am not a member there, just a long time lurker, and while I do have graduate level hours in Organic Chemistry, I learned more from guys like Edyvw there than watching a lifetime of youtube oil testing videos (most of which are 99% marketing or clickbait pieces).