GEN 2 Ford GT oil in a Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate_Climb

Reaction score
As everyone else has said, the GT and Raptor motors are not the same.

You will get worse lubrication and less protection by going with too heavy of an oil. The iteration of the 3.5 Ecoboost in the Raptor is designed to use 5W30 oil. I would not use anything other than a full synthetic. For my own truck I have been using an oil with a higher HTHS value (high temp, high shear) than the Ford full synthetic as I think it makes sense for turbo engines that tend to shear down the oil quickly.

After some research when I got the truck I found that what you want to look for is an oil that does the following:
Full synthetic
Meets SN+ certification
Meets Ford 946-B1 specification
Has an HTHS above 3.0

If you have an oil like that and are changing it every 5,000km (roughly 3,000 miles) you're going to be in better shape than the semi-synthetic for sure.
@Pinned What oil do you use?

Pinned

Reaction score
@Pinned What oil do you use?
Currently using Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W30 because it was nearly free after rebate - HTHS is 3.0.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance is also 3.0
Mobile 1 ESP is 3.5 and would be fine for a longer oil change interval than the 5k changes I do, so that might not be cost effective for most people.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Subarus they mentioned using heavier weight oil for extreme temperatures, towing, or more than ‘spirited driving’. Not sure if the Raptor manual has anything like that in the manual. I drive like a dad with little kids.

OP
OP
J

johnmh

Reaction score
I took the advice offered (thanks) and will not use the 5w50. Unfortunately, other choices such as Pennzoil and Amsoil are not available where I live and Mobil 1 15w30 full synthetic is out of stock. I will try to get Shell or Motul 5w30 which meets Ford specs, as that may be the only locally available quality option.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I took the advice offered (thanks) and will not use the 5w50. Unfortunately, other choices such as Pennzoil and Amsoil are not available where I live and Mobil 1 15w30 full synthetic is out of stock. I will try to get Shell or Motul 5w30 which meets Ford specs, as that may be the only locally available quality option.
Doubtful but see if Schaeffers 9000 is available. Love that stuff.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Got a WalMart close by? You can take your pick of Shell, Castrol, or Mobil 1 and grab a Motorcraft filter to boot.