GEN 2 Ford GT oil in a Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnmh

Reaction score
Oil questions can be repetitive and tiring, but here goes.

When I visited my local dealer, they advised that they fill 450 hp Ratptors with 5w30 Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil, while they fill 650 hp Ford GTs with 5w50 Motorcraft full synthetic oil. Both have versions of the 3.5 EcoBoost engine.

Given the extreme environment where my truck is used (dusty and temperatures which can hit 120 degrees f) I cannot see any harm in using the 5w50 full synthetic used in the GT; it may provide better protection at high temperatures.

If it makes a difference, every car I own gets oil and filter changes at 5000 km.

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Despite what it says on paper, the reality is it's far from the same engine. Stick to 5w-30 as specified. Ford has an alternate service schedule for vehicles regularly used in dusty conditions and it's called out in the owner's manual. Use that alternate service schedule.

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I used 5w30 before I blew my motor. I now have a RMB fully forged motor and he recommended and what I use is Amsoil 5w50.

Hand built engines are a different ball game. Bearing and piston to wall clearances change a lot and those play a huge part on what viscosity oils are suited best for that engine. Modern factory built engines run much much tighter clearances, so sticking with what the manual calls out is best. There are oils with better additive packages than others which can be helpful in preventing engine wear and keeping the crankcase clean but that's a pretty in depth topic.

Pinned

Reaction score
As everyone else has said, the GT and Raptor motors are not the same.

You will get worse lubrication and less protection by going with too heavy of an oil. The iteration of the 3.5 Ecoboost in the Raptor is designed to use 5W30 oil. I would not use anything other than a full synthetic. For my own truck I have been using an oil with a higher HTHS value (high temp, high shear) than the Ford full synthetic as I think it makes sense for turbo engines that tend to shear down the oil quickly.

After some research when I got the truck I found that what you want to look for is an oil that does the following:
Full synthetic
Meets SN+ certification
Meets Ford 946-B1 specification
Has an HTHS above 3.0

If you have an oil like that and are changing it every 5,000km (roughly 3,000 miles) you're going to be in better shape than the semi-synthetic for sure.

OP
OP
J

johnmh

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I am surprised that the internal clearances would be significantly different in a Raptor vs. a Ford GT, but anything is possible (with almost 50% more hp the GT application would have to deal with more heat). As Amsoil is not available where I live, I am looking for Mobil 1, but it seems back ordered. Castrol 5w30 is only available as locally manufactured semi synthetic here, which I was less enthusiastic about.

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 in my truck. They have an online schedule where you make an account and provide details like proof of oil purchase and mileage on the vehicle for each oil change and they'll warranty your engine for 15 years or 500k miles. Doesn't cost a single penny, you just have to make sure to fill out the form every time the oil is changed.

Specs for it:

Last edited: