Ford ESP, which should I buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for making another post about Ford ESPs, I've found and read all of the other ESP threads but they're all about where to buy a warranty and not which warranty you bought and why.

I'm mostly concerned about Engine, Transmission, and A/C. I'm trying to pick the appropriate warranty based on those concerns.

I'm looking for thoughts on whether or not Fords Base care ESP https://www.factoryplans.com/assets/cms/files/brochure_BaseCARE.pdf is adequate coverage for my concerns. I want to cover myself against major engine repairs including the turbos, and transmission issues. I have absolutely no plans to go to the dealer every time I hear a new noise, because I don't feel like paying a deductible to have them tell me it's operating normally.

Additionally, which warranty did you purchase and why?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So, a ’17 is already 5 model years old. That leaves you a choice of 6-8 years.

I believe the 5/60 powertrain is possibly expired already or close to it, but you should look at your mileage and use of the truck and throw in the use case; meaning how you use it.

if you don’t put many miles on the Rap you could go for a lower mileage plan but if not, then think about going to a longer mileage plan.

Go big or go home, AMIRITE? Actually I was less worried about the powertrain and more worried about the electronics. So I hit up Flood Ford for a 125k mile plan IIRC.

Now, if you’re going to tune the truck, put on a lift or 40’s, you might want to think twice about an ESP for the powertrain because they’ll likely refuse coverage with heavy and possibly related mods.

Hope this helps.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went 8/125 Premium care, like Smurf, I was more concerned about electronics, and the price diff just made sense to get more coverage but up the deducible to $200.

It's just insurance. Besides the cam phasers, my truck has been rock solid. Still glad I have it with another 3.5 years and 62k miles to go of coverage.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have only 33k on my 2018 - I went with a low 75k mile/7 year deal IIRC. I think it was like $1200 from flood ford.

OP
OP
Win Seeker

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, a ’17 is already 5 model years old. That leaves you a choice of 6-8 years.

I believe the 5/60 powertrain is possibly expired already or close to it, but you should look at your mileage and use of the truck and throw in the use case; meaning how you use it.

if you don’t put many miles on the Rap you could go for a lower mileage plan but if not, then think about going to a longer mileage plan.

Go big or go home, AMIRITE? Actually I was less worried about the powertrain and more worried about the electronics. So I hit up Flood Ford for a 125k mile plan IIRC.

Now, if you’re going to tune the truck, put on a lift or 40’s, you might want to think twice about an ESP for the powertrain because they’ll likely refuse coverage with heavy and possibly related mods.

Hope this helps.
Truck has 77k on the clock, no factory warranty exists at this point. Truck is my DD. Regardless of which plan I choose, it'll be 5 year/50k miles. I may tune the truck in the future, possibly when this extended warranty runs out. I'm installing Eibach springs tomorrow as well.

I agree that the electronics won't last forever, but in reality, I'm comfortable replacing those when the time comes. What I'm not comfortable with is dropping 14k for a new engine or 10k for a new transmission. I see the value in the premium care, but I would rather fix it myself than take it to the dealer anyways. That being said, again, I'm not doing an engine or trans replacement. One of those things I'll let the dealer take on.
I went 8/125 Premium care, like Smurf, I was more concerned about electronics, and the price diff just made sense to get more coverage but up the deducible to $200.

It's just insurance. Besides the cam phasers, my truck has been rock solid. Still glad I have it with another 3.5 years and 62k miles to go of coverage.
I'm a new owner, but my previous truck was an F150 with the ecoboost as well. Previous truck was solid, and this truck is turning out to be solid as well, but the peace of mind the warranty offers is a big deal.

Just to be transparent, for the ESP the prices for my mileage are 1400$ for Base Care, 1800$ for Extra, and 2300$ for the Premium care, all at 5yr/50k miles.
Is the 400$ jump from Base to Extra worth it for -
"HIGH-TECH • Adaptive Cruise Control • Air Suspension (Selected Electronic Components) • Instrument Cluster, Electronic (Excluding Dash Pad, Clock, Audio and Visual Equipment) • Keyless Entry System (Excluding Door Handles) • Power Antenna • Power Door Locks and Retainer Clips (Excluding Door Handles) • Power Seat Motors • Power Window Motors • Power Window Regulators • SecuriCode™ Keyless"

My thinking is, the raptor specific parts are going to be expensive as all hell to replace, but just about everything else is shared with the regular F150 line up. We all know there won't be a lack of replacement parts in 5 or so years, best selling truck in the world and all.

OP
OP
Win Seeker

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only 33k on my 2018 - I went with a low 75k mile/7 year deal IIRC. I think it was like $1200 from flood ford.
That's a great price. I was disqualified from Flood because my mileage. I'm getting all of my quotes from Zeigler. Is that for Premium care?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You’ll need to check but I know the time of the ESP begins from the service date, the same date the factory warranty begins. I would imagine the miles is also the same; that is, it’s not 5/50 EXTRA miles from what you have, it’s 5/50 from start of service. That wouldn’t buy you anything. You’d need to select a 6, 7 or 8 year plan with miles > 77k for it to be worth purchasing.

check me on the mileage calculation, but I know from previous discussions and other users posting the terms in those threads that the chronological ESP criteria begins when the truck enters service.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well shit, that's what I get for posting shit without looking. It was zeigler and it was $1885 for 84 months / 75k miles.

OP
OP
Win Seeker

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ll need to check but I know the time of the ESP begins from the service date, the same date the factory warranty begins. I would imagine the miles is also the same; that is, it’s not 5/50 EXTRA miles from what you have, it’s 5/50 from start of service. That wouldn’t buy you anything. You’d need to select a 6, 7 or 8 year plan with miles > 77k for it to be worth purchasing.

check me on the mileage calculation, but I know from previous discussions and other users posting the terms in those threads that the chronological ESP criteria begins when the truck enters service.
I hope you're wrong! This is from Zeiglers website -

Vehicles outside the New Vehicle Limited Warranty​

• Coverage for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles beyond the New Vehicle Limited Warranty and all competitive-make vehicles begins at the signature date and current mileage. Your selected coverage expires upon reaching the earliest of time or mileage

^ The above leads me to believe that in MY case, the 5/50k starts at time of signature or time of purchase. I will without a doubt confirm tomorrow over the phone.