GEN 2 Ford ESP/Premium Maintenance Strategy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my truck and will be purchasing the Ford ESP and Ford Premium Maintenance plans for it shortly. I know I could wait, but I have the cash set aside already and would rather buy it now. I plan on keeping this truck for most of the 8 years I could get coverage and have been putting 20K miles per year on my current car. I'm likely going with 8/125 coverage on both plans, but I was looking at 8/150 too. At some point in the future the Raptor could become a second vehicle for me after it and my wife's new Bronco are paid off, but for the first 5 years I expect to put 100K+ on it. I've been looking on https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/ rather than Flood Ford because there is a $250 coupon (payinfull) off the ESP with them.

For the ESP I know I want the $50 deductible (I'm guessing I'll use the warranty more than twice but probably less than eight times), so the plans price out as follows. Based on the $1225 for the extra 25K miles I'm inclined to just do the 8/125. I'm guessing resale value on the truck would really take a dump from 115K to 140K miles so I'd probably claim the higher resale and sell it before the 8/125 is up. If I still have it I can bank the extra money and pay for those repairs if I'm still driving the truck between 125-150K miles. I hadn't decided on the first day rental, but for the $70 I should probably add it. My dealers usually can hook up a loaner car.

8/125 $2295 +80 key +105 lights = $2480
8/150 $3470 plus +80 key +$155 lights = $3705

For the Premium Maintenance I'm looking at the same 8/125 coverage, but I'm debating on semi synthetic with 5K intervals or full synthetic with 7.5K or 10K intervals. I can't see spending the extra $625 on full synthetic for the 5K interval plan.

8/125 5K semi synthetic $2475
8/125 7.5K full synthetic $2500
8/125 10K full synthetic $2110
8/150 5K semi synthetic $3505
8/125 7.5K full synthetic $3205
8/150 10K full synthetic $2590

I'm thinking I want the 8/125 coverage to match the ESP, so is the full synthetic with 10K intervals an acceptable way to go, or would the semi synthetic more frequently be better for the truck? The total for both looks to be $4590 for 10K synthetic or $4955 for 5K semi synthetic. Is there anything I'm missing in my analysis?

I seem to remember reading something about the 5K interval plan following the “severe duty” factory maintenance schedule on other services, but now I can’t find anything like that.

Last edited:

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just got my truck and will be purchasing the Ford ESP and Ford Premium Maintenance plans for it shortly. I know I could wait, but I have the cash set aside already and would rather buy it now. I plan on keeping this truck for most of the 8 years I could get coverage and have been putting 20K miles per year on my current car. I'm likely going with 8/125 coverage on both plans, but I was looking at 8/150 too. At some point in the future the Raptor could become a second vehicle for me after it and my wife's new Bronco are paid off, but for the first 5 years I expect to put 100K+ on it. I've been looking on https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/ rather than Flood Ford because there is a $250 coupon (payinfull) off the ESP with them.

For the ESP I know I want the $50 deductible (I'm guessing I'll use the warranty more than twice but probably less than eight times), so the plans price out as follows. Based on the $1225 for the extra 25K miles I'm inclined to just do the 8/125. I'm guessing resale value on the truck would really take a dump from 115K to 140K miles so I'd probably claim the higher resale and sell it before the 8/125 is up. If I still have it I can bank the extra money and pay for those repairs if I'm still driving the truck between 125-150K miles. I hadn't decided on the first day rental, but for the $70 I should probably add it. My dealers usually can hook up a loaner car.

8/125 $2295 +80 key +105 lights = $2480
8/150 $3470 plus +80 key +$155 lights = $3705

For the Premium Maintenance I'm looking at the same 8/125 coverage, but I'm debating on semi synthetic with 5K intervals or full synthetic with 7.5K or 10K intervals. I can't see spending the extra $625 on full synthetic for the 5K interval plan.

8/125 5K semi synthetic $2475
8/125 7.5K full synthetic $2500
8/125 10K full synthetic $2110
8/150 5K semi synthetic $3505
8/125 7.5K full synthetic $3205
8/150 10K full synthetic $2590

I'm thinking I want the 8/125 coverage to match the ESP, so is the full synthetic with 10K intervals an acceptable way to go, or would the semi synthetic more frequently be better for the truck? The total for both looks to be $4590 for 10K synthetic or $4955 for 5K semi synthetic. Is there anything I'm missing in my analysis?

I seem to remember reading something about the 5K interval plan following the “severe duty” factory maintenance schedule on other services, but now I can’t find anything like that.

Interesting topic/question. cant provide any help honestly but subbing to see the feedback. Really interested in seeing the math/economics of how the maintenence plan works put prepaying it all via the plan vs just paying as you go.

On the warranties, what does the key warranty and light warranty give you?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My plan is to wait until 3/36 is nearly up and then decide. If my truck turns out to be haunted by electronic gremlins, I don't want to waste the money since life it too short to put up with that stuff and the truck will get traded away. Now that Ford has extended my warranty to 8/75, it changes the equation, but I still have to decide on a longer ESP by 3/36. The maintenance plan is a non-starter for me after after experiencing the local dealer's service department first hand. If I have a warranty problem and it's driveable, I'm going to Denver, but there's no way I'm driving to Denver for oil changes and there's no way I'm letting Phil Long touch my truck again if there's any alternative. Since you drive to Phoenix a lot, you probably have some decent options for service if the dealer in Flag isn't up to par. If you're near retirement, it might become an issue when you no longer have to go down the hill anyway.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting topic/question. cant provide any help honestly but subbing to see the feedback. Really interested in seeing the math/economics of how the maintenence plan works put prepaying it all via the plan vs just paying as you go.

On the warranties, what does the key warranty and light warranty give you?

The key warranty covers malfunction or replacement of lost keys, lighting coverage covers the bazillion LED lights on the truck including the headlights and taillights.

My plan is to wait until 3/36 is nearly up and then decide. If my truck turns out to be haunted by electronic gremlins, I don't want to waste the money since life it too short to put up with that stuff and the truck will get traded away. Now that Ford has extended my warranty to 8/75, it changes the equation, but I still have to decide on a longer ESP by 3/36. The maintenance plan is a non-starter for me after after experiencing the local dealer's service department first hand. If I have a warranty problem and it's driveable, I'm going to Denver, but there's no way I'm driving to Denver for oil changes and there's no way I'm letting Phil Long touch my truck again if there's any alternative. Since you drive to Phoenix a lot, you probably have some decent options for service if the dealer in Flag isn't up to par. If you're near retirement, it might become an issue when you no longer have to go down the hill anyway.

I think the ESP price may increase by the time I hit 3/36. I’ve seen a couple articles recently about Ford’s warranty obligations being too high and effecting profits, so I could see them increasing the price. What caused your warranty to be extended to 8/75?

I work as a consultant in dealerships and make quarterly trips to multiple Phoenix and Albuquerque ford dealerships for work. Most of the time I can schedule my service visits for when I’ll be working at the dealership. I usually know the person turning the wrench on my vehicle. I turn 44 today, so quite a ways from retirement. I haven’t used the dealership in Flag for anything yet, so I don’t know if they are good or bad, but my buddy’s daughter and my friend is a service writer at Chapman Ford in Scottsdale so that is where I would expect most of my service to be done. She and I discussed the maintenance plan and it’s cost, she said it was a no brainer on a Raptor because it covered the shocks, same for ESP.

As for the $2475 maintenance plan costs, they probably calculate the plans to pretty much break even by the end. 25 oil changes and tire rotations at $60 each will cost $1500, I don’t doubt the other $1000 worth of services would be performed. I’d guess Ford calculates that many people will buy more time or mileage than they will use and Ford won’t have to pay out. That is why a 3/125K is $1505 and the 8/125 is $2345.

Between the two it seems like I shouldn’t be buying much beyond tires and batteries. I like the idea of knowing my costs are fixed, even though I can afford to pay the repairs and maintenance as I go. The last two vehicles I had ESP on the plan paid for itself at least twice over. Also, if I were to sell the truck I believe the two plans would make a difference in the resale value to a private party buyer.

Any opinion on the 5K blend vs 10K full synthetic?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What caused your warranty to be extended to 8/75?

God-awful service from the local Ford dealer, Phil Long. My truck has been in the shop for three weeks now, with two to go, unless the service advisor is lying to me again. That's about 95%. He's gone to more effort to lie to me and mislead me than it would have taken to give me stellar service. The guy is pathological. If it's still "two weeks out" two weeks from now, I'm going to start getting really annoyed.

Any opinion on the 5K blend vs 10K full synthetic?

I'm doing full synthetic every 5K. First change was a month ago and it took me about 30 minutes. Next one will be 20, from start to all cleaned up. It takes less time than driving to the shop and back, never mind the wait.

One thing to consider is what happens if Ford declares bankruptcy. It would not be a surprise, they desperately need to dump their pension liabilities onto the taxpayers. I'd expect the ESP and maintenance plans to still be good, but it wouldn't hurt to check the fine print.

Edit: formatting

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I'd definitely go full synthetic at 7,500 miles interval max. IMHO.

But I change my own oil and will probably due so at 5 or 6 thousand intervals.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm doing full synthetic every 5K. First change was a month ago and it took me about 30 minutes. Next one will be 20, from start to all cleaned up. It takes less time than driving to the shop and back, never mind the wait.
x2
I live a half hour away from the nearest Ford dealer so I can change my own oil in the time it takes me to drive there. I'd also have to get out of work early to get there before they close @ 5pm. I've been doing my own oil changes for 40 years so I trust myself more than the pimple faced kid fresh out of high school that works in the Quick Lane.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working in dealerships daily, I usually get my services done while I'm there on other business. I'm not against doing my own oil changes, and did for the past 12 years on my Cummins and on all my vehicles before that. My VW TDI's go to the dealer so there is no question about the dieselgate warranty if one of the engines fails inside warranty. That's kind of how I'm looking at the Raptor too, it will have the 8/125 ESP, so no questions if it's dealer serviced.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my research shows Zeigler as the least expensive place to get my ESP and maintenance. There are codes for both $250 off the ESP (payinfull) and $200 off the Premium Maintenance (mpayinfull) plans. With the codes I can save $450 total, and the maintenance plans are significantly cheaper than Flood Ford regardless of codes. I'm going to go 8/125 on both with 7500 mile full synthetic oil changes. I think 5000 mile intervals on full synthetic are overkill, but if I wanted it the price goes up $600.

Assuming I did all my own maintenance and nothing extra went wrong:
$640 16 oil changes with full synthetic at 7500 mile intervals, $40 each
$120 6 cabin filters
$96 4 air filters (in AZ figure it will need more)
$100 spark plugs
$140 7 sets of wiper blades
$1196 total with sales tax not in the above numbers.

The maintenance plan is $2300, so $1104 more than doing it myself spread over 8 years. I like turning a wrench as much as the next guy, but I also have other things to do for $138 per year. Depending on what other wear items may get covered (brakes, shocks, extra services that may need to be done early) I think the extra money is worth it.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the provision about severe duty that I was remembering:

SEVERE DUTY VEHICLE: A Severe Duty Vehicle will be provided services based on Your vehicle's Owner/Scheduled Maintenance Guide recommendations if Your vehicle meets the vehicle Original Equipment Manufacturer's Severe Duty definition and You have purchased the Severe Duty (5,000 miles) service interval.

This should mean spark plugs at 60K, coolant flush at 60K, and more frequent air filter changes. So based on this I'm inclined to do the 5K oil change interval plan rather than the 7500 mile.