Ford Changes Engine Oil Weight for 6.2L

• Thread starter Deleted member 17706
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe most of the regular 6.2L F150's come with the 3.55 and 3.73 gears and the 4.10 E locker was an option.
Maybe that's the reason for different gear oil weight?

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2010 6.2 Scab with 85k on it last summer and went with the 5-20 Motorcraft semi synthetic and filter from Advanced Auto. I'm going to change it every 4000 miles. Carfax showed Ford maintenance records so I'll stick with Ford parts.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 17706

Ford does state in the regular 2014 F-150 manual that 75W-140 in the rear. But actually if you look at the 2014 Raptor Supplement owners manual, Ford changes it to 75W-85. I checked some of my workorders as the dealership has opened my rear end several times, they used 75W-140. I will say something next time it needs to be opened.

79734483335d002e34a1471c303b8bc7.jpg

I said the same thing. But @MTF told me his manual states 75W-140 for the rear in his 2010. But look at what the Ford sheets below state. Lol it is confusing to say the least.

@MTF this is why I said what I said in the other thread about differential fluid. I didn’t recall the 2014 manual saying anything about 75W-140 for the Gen 1.

993658EA-CECA-406D-B6EC-78937162E3D6.jpeg

BF19C729-A911-4D6B-B65E-59692FF0A731.jpeg

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t see his concern. He stated a fact and asked a question. Exactly what these forums are for. Didn’t warrant your response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually this is a Raptor forum to ask questions about the Raptor...That is the purpose of this forum. Because his question wasn't about the Raptor he got the response he did...not so hard to understand

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 17706

Actually this is a Raptor forum to ask questions about the Raptor...That is the purpose of this forum. Because his question wasn't about the Raptor he got the response he did...not so hard to understand

Can you not read? The 6.2L V8 is essentially the same in the Super Duty and Gen 1. Stop acting like a moron.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow, I really didn't mean anything by my comment, wasn't trying to be sarcastic or rude.

It's know that the Cams and Tuning makes the difference between the three 6.2L.
Are there any other differences that Ford has made would be hard to find out.
They could have made the oil squirters slightly larger to accommodate the heavier weight oil.
Just guessing though.
I did a quick research and found talk about using oil squirters to cool the pistons.
There is a debate about too much oil, too high of an oil pressure and too heavy of an oil can compromise the ring seals.
Too much and the rings do not seal solidly against the wall, creating a lot of blow-by.
Then there are guys that remove them and/or close them up to get the most seal for highest compression.
Sounds good but then your looking at rebuilding the engine more often.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 17706

Wow, I really didn't mean anything by my comment, wasn't trying to be sarcastic or rude.

It's know that the Cams and Tuning makes the difference between the three 6.2L.
Are there any other differences that Ford has made would be hard to find out.
They could have made the oil squirters slightly larger to accommodate the heavier weight oil.
Just guessing though.
I did a quick research and found talk about using oil squirters to cool the pistons.
There is a debate about to much oil, too high of an oil pressure and too heavy of an oil can compromise the ring seals.
Too much and the rings do not seal solidly against the wall, creating a lot of blow-by.
Then there are guys that remove them and/or close them up to get the most seal for highest compression.
Sounds good but then your looking at rebuilding the engine more often.

My previous comment was not directed to you. There may be some slight differences between the 6.2L V8s, but to act like my question has no relevance to a Raptor is nonsense. Ford built the Gen 1 on the SD powertrain platform.

There was a guy I found on a SD forum that was running 5W-30 on either his 12 or 13 6.2L V8 SD. He got over 400k miles before one of his cam shafts went bad. In other words, he started running 5W-30 years before Ford ever made the official switch and got 400k miles with regularly towing.

I agree with you that one has to be careful when switching oil weights. But in this case, I think it is at least probable to move to a 5W-30 and have little to no effect on the engine. Given that Gen 1s are rated for fuel economy, I am sure having a more fuel efficient engine oil influenced—at the very least played a part—in why Ford chose 5W-20. Also, some Livernois 6.6 owners that I have talked to have moved to a heavier oil weight too.

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My previous comment was not directed to you. There may be some slight differences between the 6.2L V8s, but to act like my question has no relevance to a Raptor is nonsense. Ford built the Gen 1 on the SD powertrain platform.

There was a guy I found on a SD forum that was running 5W-30 on either his 12 or 13 6.2L V8 SD. He got over 400k miles before one of his cam shafts went bad. In other words, he started running 5W-30 years before Ford ever made the official switch and got 400k miles with regularly towing.

I agree with you that one has to be careful when switching oil weights. But in this case, I think it is at least probable to move to a 5W-30 and have little to no effect on the engine. Given that Gen 1s are rated for fuel economy, I am sure having a more fuel efficient engine oil influenced—at the very least played a part—in why Ford chose 5W-20. Also, some Livernois 6.6 owners that I have talked to have moved to a heavier oil weight too.

I think you are right to pose the question. But more to the point, there have been examples of 400k+ miles using 5w-20 as well. The 6.2 is just a monster...it’ll take 5w-20 or 5w-30 and be just fine, I don’t think the motor really cares. It’s not sensitive to oil weight nuance, so run whatever you feel is best.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run a Moroso oil catch can that I have to empty every 1200 to 1500 miles. I wonder if switching to 5W30 would have any impact on that.