Ford Ambient Lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've discovered that my new 2014 has a Ford ambient lighting system. I found the wiring when poking around but it didn't work. It was a loose connection. Easy fix and now I have ambient under dash and cup holder lights.

Anybody know much about this system? Not much info out there about it. The power cable is scabbed into an existing wire on the BCM harness. The circuit must be running lights - the ambients come on when the doors are open or the running lights / headlights areon, but doesn't dim with the dash light dimmer. I can change colors but not the brightness.

Ultimately I'd like to dim these lights quite a bit as the lights in the cup holder are really bright. Maybe I'm missing a part that covers the cupholder LEDs? It would be cool to have a glowing ring on the cup holders instead of the bright lights.

IMG_6181.jpgIMG_6185.jpgIMG_6187.jpgIMG_6206.jpgIMG_6215.jpg

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've discovered that my new 2014 has a Ford ambient lighting system. I found the wiring when poking around but it didn't work due to a loose connection. Easy fix and now I have ambients. Anybody know much about this system? Not much info out there. The power cable is scabbed into an existing wire on the BCM harness. The circuit must be for the running lights - comes on when the doors open, but doesn't dim with the dash light dimmer. I can change colors but not the brightness. Ultimately I'd like to dim this quite a bit as the lights in the cup holder are really bright. Maybe I'm missing something that covers the cupholder LEDs?

View attachment 392714View attachment 392715View attachment 392716View attachment 392717View attachment 392718
how do you change the colors? thru the sync screens?

clearly added on, gen1 never had ambient lighting..

looks super bright, i'd disconnect the cupholders..

on the gen2 all the controls for ambient light is in the setting on the radio screen..

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That looks like the dealer added ambient light kit from ford accessories. Good job figuring out what the problem was.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's pretty interesting, didn't know they had like an accessory kit for it. I actually took the full ambient lighting setup out of my previous 2013 Limited and transferred it into my Raptor so it functions exactly like the OEM setup.