Ford 7.3 gas getting swapped in now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting to see the aftermarket doing swaps on the 7.3 gas engine. I can't wait to see all the performance goodies that will become available.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully it will be embraced and swapped, beefed and tuned, researched and cammed... not relegated to truck duty and forgotten by the aftermarket as the 6.2l was.

rightNut

Reaction score
Hopefully it will be embraced and swapped, beefed and tuned, researched and cammed... not relegated to truck duty and forgotten by the aftermarket as the 6.2l was.
Not sure about the “forgotten by the aftermarket” part, but my Gen 1 6.2l got cams from Livernois Motorsports has been amazing and trouble-free, and my 2017 Malibu wakeboard boat (and all the rest of their boats from that generation) had the marine equivalent of 6.2l Ford Raptor motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the 7.3 will be more popular for swaps than the 6.2 merely due to packaging. It simply will fit with less hassle into smaller engine bays. I love my 6.2, but it is a wide beast. I'd really have to do some hacking to get one to fit into, say, a '66 Mustang.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure about the “forgotten by the aftermarket” part, but my Gen 1 6.2l got cams from Livernois Motorsports has been amazing and trouble-free, and my 2017 Malibu wakeboard boat (and all the rest of their boats from that generation) had the marine equivalent of 6.2l Ford Raptor motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the only aftermarket cam setup that has any availability, and it's over priced. Look at how many company's make cams for something like an LS, gen III hemi, or Coyote, even the ecoboost engines have options. It's a neglected engine, period.

rightNut

Reaction score
Yes, the only aftermarket cam setup that has any availability, and it's over priced. Look at how many company's make cams for something like an LS, gen III hemi, or Coyote, even the ecoboost engines have options. It's a neglected engine, period.

I’m still a happy customer. The Livernois cams are a tremendous value in my book. You must mean they are unaffordable? This is definitely a first-world sort of problem. Cams, and really most performance mods, are sort of luxury goods, not necessities.

*Edited for a nicer tone. [emoji6]

Last edited:

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m still a happy customer. The Livernois cams are a tremendous value in my book. You must mean they are unaffordable? This is definitely a first-world sort of problem. Cams, and really most performance mods, are sort of luxury goods, not necessities.

*Edited for a nicer tone. [emoji6]

I wouldn't say they're unaffordable. They're expensive. Two billet camshafts and a set of 16 valve springs and Ti retainers for my Evo is ~$1000. Four (4) camshafts for a coyote are ~$1600.

Comparatively, the Livernois "kit" is $2600. One could argue the rocker braces, valve seals, and phaser bolts are worth $500ish. So, $2100. Double the price of the same parts (and same number of parts, actually missing retainers though) for an Evo. This price point can be directly attributed to a lack of competition, and also very likely because the engine is very niche.