For those that went to the Darkside (TRX)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree. What's funny is that anyone cares what motor is under the hood so long as it goes when you push on the skinny pedal. Now if we were talking about transmissions, that's a different matter. Manuals rule, slushboxes drool. They're for people who never learned to drive a real car. :)
Well I would say people care for a bunch of reasons. How the power delivery is, example: big single vs smaller twin turbo vs supercharged vs NA. Sound makes a difference to some, it is a driving experience after all, about like color of the exterior matters to some.

For off-roading, I think I would probably prefer a manual valve body over a true manual. I think it would be much easier to be smoother. Now a five point harness and a bucket seat will keep you in place and might change my mind on a clutch.

WEJER

Reaction score
Devils advocate for a minute....
- those buying in this price range don't care about MPG.. that said, the TRX mpg combined with the smaller gas tank is a common complaint on longer trips
- if it's not going to be taken off road...and let's be honest here on the percentage that do....then nose heavy, desert performance, and true off road capability is irrelevant.
- "way more expensive" is a relative term. Depends on the spec/options...dealer markups notwithstanding
- depending on the intended use of the truck, 37s aren't necessarily a deal-breaker.

I've never owned a Dodge product so I can't speak to build quality and reliability. But based on what I've seen:
- TRX power performance speaks for itself
- the interior finish appears to be far superior

We have both TRX and Raptor in our immediate family… both have advantages. It’s coming down to personal preference. I like the Raptor and we do plenty of off-road to appreciate all the positives.

RAM is beginning to beat Super Duty for our field trucks in the fleet. Everyone in our crew takes the RAM with Cummins and better engine brake given the choice.

Dadlife

Reaction score
So I ordered both trucks.
Ordered the raptor 6 months before TRX, and they both arrived same week.
I went 37 PP raptor for the mere price I get through ford fleet (below msrp)
Im having regrets.
Love the new infotainment on the raptor, as well as the interior (Blue Recaro) horizontal screen is much better than TRX vertical and TRX is still analog.
Until some tuners and Aftermarket companies release some performance parts for Gen 3, its rough as my Tuned and modded gen 2 sh*t on my Gen 3.
The mirror placement on the Gen 3 is also much better than the TRX. Mirror in TRX sits more flush with driver vs lower,due to window design. TRX obstructs view until you get used to it.
The new trombone exhaust sounds amazing compared to Gen 2’s. But nothing beats a V8 and that supercharger whine.
The raptor feels much lighter, and nimble where as TRX feels like, well a TRX. Heavy SOB and you can feel it in turns. But the power is addicting.
I dont offroad, cant afford it along with my hobbies and 3 kids. So my truck is now a mall crawler and boat hauler.
So I ordered another TRX friday and will be putting the 37pp up for sale when it gets close to delivery.

I have an allocation for an R, and if I get, Ill buy. Im 4 on the list and dealer will be lucky to get 1. But the reality is dealers are going to keep their allocations to people willing pay 50k markups. Not most of us here so TRX is next best thing.

(Did consider v8 swap, but at 54k) thats more than R would cost me

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd kill for a manual like they're putting in the new Koenigsegg where you basically get a manual transmission that can be put into an auto mode, but it has a clutch pedal and real shifter. They're really innovating over there.

Also, put me down for the Gen2 and 3 look way better than a TRX, and I prefer the lower weight and greater MPG/distance per tank. I don't need 702 HP on the street and I certainly don't need it in the dirt. Would I like it? Sure. But I don't like it $20K more, especially since I could modify for less and still have all the advantages of lower weight. For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of supercharger whine either. And I don't really think the Hellcat V8 sounds great on its own either. It sounds kind of flat to me.

And before anyone thinks I'm crazy, if a Hellcat sounded like a GT350, then it'd be a different story. The GT500 is also nice. I started up one of those on a commercial shoot for Hertz and it was quite nice, especially when it revved itself on startup.

Last edited:

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents. I ordered 2022 trx on June 7, 2022. But i stoped at the local Ford dealer and looked at the new Raptor, i was not shocked since i was already driving 2019 F350 platinum. The interior was nice. Two weeks later I traded in my super duty diesel babe for 22 raptor with no test driving or any other visits. So time goes buy and i am 90% confident that i will cancel my trx order. I am happened to be the previous GTR owner and this truck is the best mix of both worlds. I know trx is better in quality of materials inside, but it lack’s utility. I travel all over the country and that includes beaches, dirt, snow Etc. there is no way that alcantara is easier to maintain then just leather. I think Ford is just few steps ahead of the game. Many new cars and trucks come with eco style materials on the inside, and I admire that. Those materials are way more durable and easier to maintain. Everyone talks about Ford power as it is lacking, it is not. There is enough power to put smile on your face. I previously owned 2015 gtr, 2017 z06 convertible and 2018 tesla x p100d. You need to look into the heart of the Raptor. Lets say you decide to go for off road ride in trx you either bring extra fuel or just make sure you stay close to the gas pump, with Ford Raptor You have Freedom. Go faster and further. Just a side note my tesla x was doing 3.2 sec or less in 0-60 but i would trade that car for my Gen 3 Raptor any day, TRX is nervously smoking in the corner. Again just my 2 cents.
I agree. What's funny is that anyone cares what motor is under the hood so long as it goes when you push on the skinny pedal. Now if we were talking about transmissions, that's a different matter. Manuals rule, slushboxes drool. They're for people who never learned to drive a real car. :)
My Gen 2 is the first automatic I’ve ever owned. Which is why one of the spots in my garage is reserved for my 2002 GTI 337. Mint. I’ve had her since she was brand new. And although when I do take her out after driving a Raptor it feels like a go kart sometimes it’s really nice to be able to fly through a 6 speed just for the hell of it.

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents. I ordered 2022 trx on June 7, 2022. But i stoped at the local Ford dealer and looked at the new Raptor, i was not shocked since i was already driving 2019 F350 platinum. The interior was nice. Two weeks later I traded in my super duty diesel babe for 22 raptor with no test driving or any other visits. So time goes buy and i am 90% confident that i will cancel my trx order. I am happened to be the previous GTR owner and this truck is the best mix of both worlds. I know trx is better in quality of materials inside, but it lack’s utility. I travel all over the country and that includes beaches, dirt, snow Etc. there is no way that alcantara is easier to maintain then just leather. I think Ford is just few steps ahead of the game. Many new cars and trucks come with eco style materials on the inside, and I admire that. Those materials are way more durable and easier to maintain. Everyone talks about Ford power as it is lacking, it is not. There is enough power to put smile on your face. I previously owned 2015 gtr, 2017 z06 convertible and 2018 tesla x p100d. You need to look into the heart of the Raptor. Lets say you decide to go for off road ride in trx you either bring extra fuel or just make sure you stay close to the gas pump, with Ford Raptor You have Freedom. Go faster and further. Just a side note my tesla x was doing 3.2 sec or less in 0-60 but i would trade that car for my Gen 3 Raptor any day, TRX is nervously smoking in the corner. Again just my 2 cents.
Wife has a Performance Model Y. While I wouldn’t ever trade my Raptor in for a Tesla, I would happily trade hers in for a Plaid just for the sake of going light speed on the interstate. I had one next to me this morning and when he took off it was incomprehensible watching that thing teleport away

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I ordered both trucks.
Ordered the raptor 6 months before TRX, and they both arrived same week.
I went 37 PP raptor for the mere price I get through ford fleet (below msrp)
Im having regrets.
Love the new infotainment on the raptor, as well as the interior (Blue Recaro) horizontal screen is much better than TRX vertical and TRX is still analog.
Until some tuners and Aftermarket companies release some performance parts for Gen 3, its rough as my Tuned and modded gen 2 sh*t on my Gen 3.
The mirror placement on the Gen 3 is also much better than the TRX. Mirror in TRX sits more flush with driver vs lower,due to window design. TRX obstructs view until you get used to it.
The new trombone exhaust sounds amazing compared to Gen 2’s. But nothing beats a V8 and that supercharger whine.
The raptor feels much lighter, and nimble where as TRX feels like, well a TRX. Heavy SOB and you can feel it in turns. But the power is addicting.
I dont offroad, cant afford it along with my hobbies and 3 kids. So my truck is now a mall crawler and boat hauler.
So I ordered another TRX friday and will be putting the 37pp up for sale when it gets close to delivery.

I have an allocation for an R, and if I get, Ill buy. Im 4 on the list and dealer will be lucky to get 1. But the reality is dealers are going to keep their allocations to people willing pay 50k markups. Not most of us here so TRX is next best thing.

(Did consider v8 swap, but at 54k) thats more than R would cost me

So you’ll have two TRX’s?