For those that went to the Darkside (TRX)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

weimer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All the people I've met so far that have TRXs are happy with them, but they were also all gen 2 owners or had never owned a Raptor. Anyone trading a gen 1 at this point is doing it for tech jump and no one is trading a $20K ADM gen 3 for an under msrp TRX. TRX is better than a six years older gen 2 from a tech/speed standpoint for sure.
There's some guys on the TRX forum that made the jump and have been happy. I have even considered it. Always loved the hellcat vehicles and to have that in a truck is pretty badass in my opinion.

04Ram2500Hemi summed it up pretty good.

PTYHRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re in a gen2 I don’t see how you could be unhappy going to a TRX. Unless those big screens bother you and you’re that brand loyal. Either way it’s not an irreversible decision

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went from a g2 to a 22 TRX level 2 and other than the further drop in mpg and the added cost of the vehicle, it’s wonderful. Now if I would be able to get a gen 3 37PP for sticker vs this TRX… that would be a hard decision. I can see paying a few grand over sticker on a gen 3 new but 20? Hell no. TRX wins just for that nonsense alone. Even used these gen 3 raptors are maintaining that ADM.

Attachments

• 7EDF5F3D-1279-4AFE-847E-997514426216.jpeg
    7EDF5F3D-1279-4AFE-847E-997514426216.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 27

Jonesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it me is does there seem to be a disconnect when trx buyers say it’s much better than a g2 (hp) + plus rear axle but then turn around and compare it to a G3. G3 has v6 too and costs as much as TRX. I get the whole rear axle thing but what about the v8? :Pshyco:

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you should buy both, drive them for a while, and keep the one you like the best. Fūck a bunch of internet opinions. The only thing that would bother me about the TRX is the range. But that's the first thing anyone ever talks about, so it won't be news to you. I've owned two Dodges and thought that they were fine vehicles. As good as Ford, but with different weaknesses and strengths.
Actually even though I love Raptors I agree. Drive both and then decide. It is a huge purchase and don't let us sway your decision. Okay, let us sway you a little bit :)

PTYHRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went from a g2 to a 22 TRX level 2 and other than the further drop in mpg and the added cost of the vehicle, it’s wonderful. Now if I would be able to get a gen 3 37PP for sticker vs this TRX… that would be a hard decision. I can see paying a few grand over sticker on a gen 3 new but 20? Hell no. TRX wins just for that nonsense alone. Even used these gen 3 raptors are maintaining that ADM.
Maintaining but not selling. Lots out there used for 90k +. Ridiculous
Is it me is does there seem to be a disconnect when trx buyers say it’s much better than a g2 (hp) + plus rear axle but then turn around and compare it to a G3. G3 has v6 too and costs as much as TRX. I get the whole rear axle thing but what about the v8? :Pshyco:
gen3 with 37pp only comparison.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the rear end kicking out to the side on any major bump that you hit constitutes as being better off-road and having better off-road capability, then by all means, go with the Gen 2.
As a Gen 2 owner, I had to chuckle when I read this because it's true. Though I've had this issue more on rough paved roads than off-road.

The only issue I'd have with the TRX is not necessarily the cost of fuel, but the inconvenience of refuling. I can tow my trailer loaded with toys to the desert and back home on one tank with about 1/4 tank left. Would not be able to do that with the combination of lower MPG and smaller gas tank on the TRX. Raptor R would cut it very close.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I don't see the disconnect. The rear axle is a big deal. The V6 in the G3 is better tuned and most people makng the G3 comparison are doing it with the 37PP option, not the base 35s.

munch520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Devils advocate for a minute....
- those buying in this price range don't care about MPG.. that said, the TRX mpg combined with the smaller gas tank is a common complaint on longer trips
- if it's not going to be taken off road...and let's be honest here on the percentage that do....then nose heavy, desert performance, and true off road capability is irrelevant.
- "way more expensive" is a relative term. Depends on the spec/options...dealer markups notwithstanding
- depending on the intended use of the truck, 37s aren't necessarily a deal-breaker.

I've never owned a Dodge product so I can't speak to build quality and reliability. But based on what I've seen:
- TRX power performance speaks for itself
- the interior finish appears to be far superior.

I went through this and have a friend with a TRX. They don't care about MPG, but time is money, and heading to the pump twice as often is obnoxious regardless of the cost.

I'd be concerned long term with the reliability of all that power going through a full-time AWD system. IIRC there's no way to do 2WD-only in the TRX.

I felt the 801a/Raptor high at $75k vs a similarly built TRX at $95k was apples to apples, with the exception of power. For me at the end of the day it wasn't worth a $20,000 premium/$80 per HP to go with the TRX.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
For me I can only compare the TRX to my old 2020. I haven't had the option to drive a 3rd Gen with the EcoPoop.

The 3rd Gen Raptor very well could be a better truck (V6 or V8) when off roading at speed because of the weight. Again, for me not an issue as I don't off road at speed (not really an option in Montana).