For those running Ford beadlocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the1russ

Reaction score
I didn't see in the Ford document describing the installation of bead lock rings where it mentions any state law regarding the legality of bead locks. I think Ford's comments about offroad use is to cover their butt.

may want to read this again: https://www.liftlaws.com/are_beadlocks_street_legal.htm the author offers $300 to anyone who can provide a state law indicating bead locks are illegal. Granted, a LEO can write you a ticket for anything they want under the pretense of "unsafe vehicle".

why would bead locks be used on race vehicles if they're "probably not safe"? Don't racers tend to use safer, more robust products than the general public? Granted you need to stay on top of wheel maintenance but that's the case with most performance products.

BTW, not being DOT approved is not the same as being illegal. Lots of stuff you put on your vehicle isn't DOT approved. Does Chip Foose get his one-off CNC'd wheels DOT approved?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Granted you need to stay on top of wheel maintenance but that's the case with most performance products.

Think this is more of the issue. People don't know how to check their oil, let alone a beedlock ring. Don't need Starbucks drinkers loosing their tires on the freeway.

That being said, if you have the knowledge and tools run em. Most of us here have at least 1 thing on our trucks that is not DOT approved.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
May be a stupid question, but what about the inside/opposite sidewall? Not for looks, but if to air down and keep the tire on the rim… don’t both sides have to be addressed? It is it mostly a turning issue, and the outside is the important area?
Not a stupid question at all, and I too would like the answer.

The most important thing in my truck that is Dot approved is the nut behind the wheel. (My wife’s nickname is Dot). Lol.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
why would bead locks be used on race vehicles if they're "probably not safe"? Don't racers tend to use safer, more robust products than the general public? Granted you need to stay on top of wheel maintenance but that's the case with most performance products.
They race off-road.

ImAllSCREWdUp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been running OEM beadlocks on my '18 SCREW for at least 6 months and a couple thousand (highway & surface street) miles with no issues. I carry a torque wrench in the truck and check the beadlock bolts every month - never found one bolt to come loose.

Attachments

• 20211214_121101.jpg
    20211214_121101.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 22

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not a stupid question at all, and I too would like the answer.

The most important thing in my truck that is Dot approved is the nut behind the wheel. (My wife’s nickname is Dot). Lol.

it's much more difficult to load the inside bead of the tire to the point of popping the bead off, as you would with the outside.

if you think about making a hard left turn, the right side tire is loaded up with weight while the inside, left tire is being lifted..

now, granted some of the ultra4 race trucks run double bead locks, i think its more because of the rock crawling/banging aspect of that sport. i dont even think trophy trucks run double beadlocks..

the drag cars that run beadlocks is more for putting the power down, because the tire has more traction to the ground, than the wheel has to the bead of the tire, so they're losing traction between the wheel and tire, not tire to ground. also, damages tires and causes flats as well..

I think they're a lot of maintenance but if you are regularly offroading at lower tire pressures i think it makes sense, but on the other hand, i run 12psi at the dunes all the time with non-beadlocks, drifting, jumping, donuts and flying thru whoops and have never popped a bead in 6 years of driving raptors on dunes.. $.02

they def look cooler than the stock beauty rings...

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can’t remember the language/word but there is a large sealing surface on the inside of the rim. The outside of the rim has a recessed area to assist in tire install/removal.

As long as there is pressure in the tire, the bead will always be forced against the inside seal. The bead lock ring will hold the front seal.

I hope I’m right on this.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had them on my 2017 and 2019. I installed per the Ford Performance installation manual and check the torque atleast once a month. I am ordering a set for the 2021 tomorrow. With that being said, I did have Discount tire ruin one. I have never told them to dismount a tire from a wheel and one day i walked back to them running an impact on the beadlock bolts with the tire seated normally and the beadlock ring would not fit. So they stripped out half the threads on the wheel. So just a heads up when you get your tires rotated.31B1C66D-F326-44E8-9606-AA64E8C37D37.jpegEF0C81D8-3BDB-4167-B51E-1CE9C2FBE21D.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FirstOrderRaptor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and info. I have ran beadlocks for years with routine maintenance and zero issues on other vehicles. Just seeing if they give the protection of the spokes on the newer wheels. Appreciate the replies. Ordering today.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and info. I have ran beadlocks for years with routine maintenance and zero issues on other vehicles. Just seeing if they give the protection of the spokes on the newer wheels. Appreciate the replies. Ordering today.
@FirstOrderRaptor
If you have fordpass reward points, I would call your local dealers accessory department. I have about $400 worth of rewards i'm using on them.