All Sold... For Sale! Gen 2 Performance Parts (New, Never Installed)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question why would people put catch cans on the stock turbo setup? Does it have to much blow by if tuned or wanted a safer setup ? Haven't seen much talk about them on the threads.

OP
OP
FORZDA 1

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question why would people put catch cans on the stock turbo setup? Does it have to much blow by if tuned or wanted a safer setup ? Haven't seen much talk about them on the threads.

Good question. The Raptor 3.5 has Port Injection (in addition to Direct Injection) that eliminates the build up on the back side of the intake valves, which is the primary purpose of catch cans on (all) direct injection engines.

If the catch can is installed due to oil collecting in the intercooler, then the piston rings are worn or otherwise not sealing properly. Or, it could be a race engine set up with loose(er) clearances.

FYI, I have two catch cans on my 2017 Focus RS w/2.3 Ecoboost (Direct Injection)

Last edited:

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, i had them on my gmc as well but after opening them up and seeing just drops of oil i just removed them. was just wondering for this platform thanks for the responce.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
thanks, i had them on my gmc as well but after opening them up and seeing just drops of oil i just removed them. was just wondering for this platform thanks for the responce.

Catch cans are more common / useful on forced induction engines. Ive never really seen them used on an N/A engine.

OP
OP
FORZDA 1

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Catch cans are more common / useful on forced induction engines. Ive never really seen them used on an N/A engine.

Yeah, the only N/A engine that can derive any benefit from catch cans are direct injection. One key aspect of the catch can location is to keep the PCV hose(s) as short as possible to prevent additional condensation inside. If you notice the 3.5EB the OEM PCV hose is about 6" long, so ANY catch can setup is going to add significant length to the hoses and actually create more problems than it solves...

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, the only N/A engine that can derive any benefit from catch cans are direct injection. One key aspect of the catch can location is to keep the PCV hose(s) as short as possible to prevent additional condensation inside. If you notice the 3.5EB the OEM PCV hose is about 6" long, so ANY catch can setup is going to add significant length to the hoses and actually create more problems than it solves...

The catch can on my STI had coolant routed through it to combat condensation, with a drain at the bottom to the crank to eliminate the need for emptying.