For anyone who has ever doubted catch can...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really want to find a way to drain the catch cans back into the dipstick tube. Just let it go into the pan with all the other crap and be drained at oil change time.
You definitely don't want to do that. A good part of what accumulates in that can is not oil, but moisture and combustion by product. Agree or disagree on the necessity of the catch can, but I think we can all agree that you don't want that residue going back into the crankcase.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
but I think we can all agree that you don't want that residue going back into the crankcase.

I don't have a catch can but would sure like to, just for a piece of mind. It can't hurt anything. Maybe I could run a hose over and let it dribble on the CAT to be burned off while driving hard! :D:D:D

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't reveal to you any of my "logic". I assure you, it goes much deeper than I'm prepared to go into on this forum.
Ohh. So much edge.
‘Cept you did. You made an If-Then statement. ‘member:
...if there were anything to this catch-can technology, it would seem that 1) Ford would have incorporated it or 2) the EPA would have mandated it.

I don't pretend to know what motivates the EPA. But I do know that burning fossil fuels is at or near the top of a list of environmental concerns.

It’s in the name. They aim to be the Agency that Protectionates the Environmentals.

They don’t always do a good job, or even spend their gas on stuff that makes sense, but their motivation in this problem is pretty clear: keep your crankcase from spitting up all over the highway.

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a catch can but would sure like to, just for a piece of mind. It can't hurt anything. Maybe I could run a hose over and let it dribble on the CAT to be burned off while driving hard! :D:D:D

Get one... cheapest runs 150ish and will take you 20-30 minutes to install. Easy.

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohh. So much edge.
‘Cept you did. You made an If-Then statement. ‘member:

It’s in the name. They aim to be the Agency that Protectionates the Environmentals.

They don’t always do a good job, or even spend their gas on stuff that makes sense, but their motivation in this problem is pretty clear: keep your crankcase from spitting up all over the highway.

I was using intuition, not logic. I absolutely have not done the work necessary to construct an logical argument. I was only expressing my skepticism at was has only been anecdotal evidence designed to appeal to our natural inclination to "believe" or "feel" that a successful argument as been made in favor of a product. This is called a sales pitch or "marketing". If you choose to accept anecdotal evidence of the utility of of this $150-300 product that requires continual maintenance, then buy it! I suspect you already have, which is perhaps why you are wed to what is potentially a baseless argument. It might not harm anything more than your pocketbook and a little of your time, but from with you might gain the satisfaction that peace-of-mind brings.

As far as the EPA, you are using intuition again...but its just as well, as my point was that the EPA is a political body and as such is devoid of logic. In fact, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest the EPA has done great harm to the environment it supposedly is chartered to protect.

With the help of Merriam-Webster, I've defined the differences between intuition and logic below ...if you care to read even this far.

Few on this forum, myself especially, are interested in reading or constructing a logical argument. Logic would force us to do things like examine the contents and volume of crankcase vapor in our specific application, understand the mature of the modern 4-stroke version of the internal combustion engine, appreciate the complex alkaline hydrocarbon "octane" and its effects on the combustion process, and what constitutes or contributes to undesirable valve-train deposits, among potentially dozens of other relevant facts. We'd have to apply a thorough examination of all of this data before arriving at conclusion. And that's also my point. It could very well be that oil separators and catch cans have a very useful purpose in our specific application. But never mind, the facts! The emotional/intuitive argument will be what carries the day!

log·ic /ˈläjik/ noun
  1. reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.
(note that "if/then" statements does not necessary signal or define a logical argument)

Put simply: Logic is a method of applying firmly established concrete rules to arrive at decision. Logic is hard. It forces one to engage the brain in much the same way of performing long division in your head.

in·tu·i·tion /ˌint(y)o͞oˈiSH(ə)n/ noun
  1. the ability to understand something immediately, without the need for conscious reasoning. A thing that one knows or considers likely from instinctive feeling rather than "conscious reasoning" [i.e. rather than using logic]
Put simply: Intuition relies on abstract information gathered through experience or perception, rather that conscious reasoning, to arrive at decision. Intuition is easy. Its tantamount to an emotional response or mere opinion. It triggers no more of the brain than solving 2+2.

Last edited:

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was using intuition, not logic. I absolutely have not done the work necessary to construct an logical argument. I was only expressing my skepticism at was has only been anecdotal evidence designed to appeal to our natural inclination to "believe" or "feel" that a successful argument as been made in favor of a product. This is called a sales pitch or "marketing". If you choose to accept anecdotal evidence of the utility of of this $150-300 product that requires continual maintenance, then buy it! I suspect you already have, which is perhaps why you are wed to what is potentially a baseless argument. It might not harm anything more than your pocketbook and a little of your time, but from with you might gain the satisfaction that peace-of-mind brings.

As far as the EPA, you are using intuition again...but its just as well, as my point was that the EPA is a political body and as such is devoid of logic. In fact, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest the EPA has done great harm to the environment it supposedly is chartered to protect.

With the help of Merriam-Webster, I've defined the differences between intuition and logic below ...if you care to read even this far.

Few on this forum, myself especially, are interested in reading or constructing a logical argument. Logic would force us to do things like examine the contents and volume of crankcase vapor in our specific application, understand the mature of the modern 4-stroke version of the internal combustion engine, appreciate the complex alkaline hydrocarbon "octane" and its effects on the combustion process, and what constitutes or contributes to undesirable valve-train deposits, among potentially dozens of other relevant facts. We'd have to apply a thorough examination of all of this data before arriving at conclusion. And that's also my point. It could very well be that oil separators and catch cans have a very useful purpose in our specific application. But never mind, the facts! The emotional/intuitive argument will be what carries the day!

log·ic /ˈläjik/ noun
  1. reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.
(note that "if/then" statements does not necessary signal or define a logical argument)

Put simply: Logic is a method of applying firmly established concrete rules to arrive at decision. Logic is hard. It forces one to engage the brain in much the same way of performing long division in your head.

in·tu·i·tion /ˌint(y)o͞oˈiSH(ə)n/ noun
  1. the ability to understand something immediately, without the need for conscious reasoning. A thing that one knows or considers likely from instinctive feeling rather than "conscious reasoning" [i.e. rather than using logic]
Put simply: Intuition relies on abstract information gathered through experience or perception, rather that conscious reasoning, to arrive at decision. Intuition is easy. Its tantamount to an emotional response or mere opinion. It triggers no more of the brain than solving 2+2.

CD98AACA-A777-4B17-BD70-A96E7A633384.jpeg

ETA: And, no, you intuitionialized unlogicafully. I don’t have a catch can.

But I sure enjoyed the pedantic romp through verbose rhetoric to rationalize your randomly being triggered by the word ‘logic’.

Last edited:

CHMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the vicious change of subject, but if I install a JLT catch can should I worry about removing it if go to the dealer for anything? Digging though catch can threads makes it sound like it probably wouldn't void any warranties, but I'd hate to learn the hard way.

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the vicious change of subject, but if I install a JLT catch can should I worry about removing it if go to the dealer for anything? Digging though catch can threads makes it sound like it probably wouldn't void any warranties, but I'd hate to learn the hard way.

Unless you damage something on install, or have an issue directly related to the PCV system, no, they shouldn’t be able to deny any reasonable warranty claim.

Only having one on the PCV side shouldn’t cause you any problems, but my default is to always run a new car for a few months before doing any mods- more significant mods wait longer, even to end of warranty.

I plan to put 5-10k on the odometer before I do anything under the hood other than routine checks and maintenance. Will probably put a dual-valve catch can in at that point.