Fog Lights - 2019 Raptor - Bezel or No Bezel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have always wondered about that cutout in the bumper. Since Ford apparently never even planned to offer fog lights on the Raptor even as a factory option, maybe the primary purpose of the bumper cutout is front brake cooling. It's a real possibility in my mind. In any case, I live in northern Nevada and though you might not think so, we get real snowstorms here at 5,700 feet. I don't have bezels and it's never been a problem.

One thing you might want to think about is that too much light can actually reduce your visibility in fog and freezing precipitation. Modern LED fog lights are astoundingly effective, and going to double and triple units seems likely to cause trouble in a couple of ways. There is the too-much-light consideration, and there are legal considerations. In Nevada, for example, the law stipulates that only two pair of white lights may be pointed forward. That leaves you with your headlights and one other pair of white emitters. Those laws vary from state to state, so before you spend hundreds of dollars of your hard-earned money, it makes very good sense to go to your state's revised statutes online and find out what's permitted.

As for a recommendation, a pair of these Diode Dynamics SAE/DOT fog lights ought to provide more than enough illumination for you in any bad weather condition:

They come in selective yellow (3000K) or white (5000K), and backlit (for additional signature from the front when you're not running the main fog lamps) or no back light. The science behind these fog lights is amazing and if you peruse the web site you will see that.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have always wondered about that cutout in the bumper. Since Ford apparently never even planned to offer fog lights on the Raptor even as a factory option, maybe the primary purpose of the bumper cutout is front brake cooling. It's a real possibility in my mind. In any case, I live in northern Nevada and though you might not think so, we get real snowstorms here at 5,700 feet. I don't have bezels and it's never been a problem.

One thing you might want to think about is that too much light can actually reduce your visibility in fog and freezing precipitation. Modern LED fog lights are astoundingly effective, and going to double and triple units seems likely to cause trouble in a couple of ways. There is the too-much-light consideration, and there are legal considerations. In Nevada, for example, the law stipulates that only two pair of white lights may be pointed forward. That leaves you with your headlights and one other pair of white emitters. Those laws vary from state to state, so before you spend hundreds of dollars of your hard-earned money, it makes very good sense to go to your state's revised statutes online and find out what's permitted.

As for a recommendation, a pair of these Diode Dynamics SAE/DOT fog lights ought to provide more than enough illumination for you in any bad weather condition:

They come in selective yellow (3000K) or white (5000K), and backlit (for additional signature from the front when you're not running the main fog lamps) or no back light. The science behind these fog lights is amazing and if you peruse the web site you will see that.

We actually offer triple fog kits with Diode Dynamics lights:

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/2017-2...og-light-kit-w-diode-dynamics-stage-series-3/

Retired in TN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always wondered about that cutout in the bumper. Since Ford apparently never even planned to offer fog lights on the Raptor even as a factory option, maybe the primary purpose of the bumper cutout is front brake cooling. It's a real possibility in my mind
I wondered the same thing! I went with “no bezel” to let some air get through. The cutouts looked empty in my mind.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Something else occurred to me about the bezel question as I was installing new Diode Dynamics fog lights. All LED lighting has cooling fins or "pin fins" on the back of the light housing to keep the electronics in the lights from overheating. It seems to me that using a bezel blocks the air that would otherwise cool the lights. Sure, some cooling will occur from behind the bezel, but the bezel will block all of the air from the front that is driven by the forward motion of the vehicle. As LED lighting is expensive and no manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty, it seems foolish to block cooling air with a bezel. My 2 cents.