Fog Light Install Cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TDBrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All, what would you expect to pay, or have paid, for install of fog/driving lights in the fog pockets of the Raptor? My son-in-law did the install for me. He did a great job hiding the wires, attaching to the upfitter switches, split-looming, etc. But it was the first time he's ever done it, so it took a lot longer than it would for someone who does it all the time. He has no idea what to charge me and I have no idea what to pay him. What have you paid a good shop for the install? I have a gen 1 so it's two lights in each fog pocket...fogs on the outside, driving on the inside.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All, what would you expect to pay, or have paid, for install of fog/driving lights in the fog pockets of the Raptor? My son-in-law did the install for me. He did a great job hiding the wires, attaching to the upfitter switches, split-looming, etc. But it was the first time he's ever done it, so it took a lot longer than it would for someone who does it all the time. He has no idea what to charge me and I have no idea what to pay him. What have you paid a good shop for the install? I have a gen 1 so it's two lights in each fog pocket...fogs on the outside, driving on the inside.

If he did a quality install with hiding and looming the wiring properly and wiring it to the upfitter switches as well as installing both pairs into the pockets I would say that 3 hours of labor is definitely fair. I charge 100 per hour at my shop to give you an idea. For my family I don't charge anything. Generally close friends I will give them a discounted price, same with neighbors.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow, I need to get into the fog install business. I will gladly put pocket lights in a Raptor for $200.

If you are providing brackets this job takes a skilled person about 45 minutes and $10 worth of materials: $75 is fair, maybe $100 if they are doing 2 pair. The upfitters make it a fairly easy job except the actual under dash wiring. It will cost more if brackets need to be fabricated.

Last edited:

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He married your daughter…doesn’t he owe you??
yeahhh sounds like there should be no money exchanged. This is def one of those him repaying you for letting him be with your daughter. personally i would never expect my FIL to pay for anything i do for them. shoot i dont even let them pay for their own dinner when we all go out.

KOBRA2848

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are set on paying something $100 is more than fair. I installed KC LZR kit on my 2014 and the hardest part was hooking up the pass through wires by the glovebox.

Mark

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow, I need to get into the fog install business. I will gladly put pocket lights in a Raptor for $200.

If you are providing brackets this job takes a skilled person about 45 minutes and $10 worth of materials: $75 is fair, maybe $100 if they are doing 2 pair. The upfitters make it a fairly easy job except the actual under dash wiring. It will cost more if brackets need to be fabricated.

Sounds like you should be a traveling business then!

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yeahhh sounds like there should be no money exchanged. This is def one of those him repaying you for letting him be with your daughter. personally i would never expect my FIL to pay for anything i do for them. shoot i dont even let them pay for their own dinner when we all go out.

I would probably agree that with this being a "small" job I wouldn't charge anything. Usually most of the time my wife's family is good about watching the kids or the dogs for us and fixing their vehicles is my way to pay them back.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If your SIL is a mechanic or look into doing these sort of installs as a source of income, then it makes sense to pay him and treat him like a professional. If your SIL needs the money, and this is just a way to help them out without it feeling like charity...ok.

If it's just family helping out family, I wouldn't do it. IMO, it's almost an insult to pay him, like you're trying to help he's not really part of the family, and we need to pay each other for favors rather than just a family that helps each other out. It could also be interpreted as you saying you don't think he earns enough for his daughter. It may not send the message you think it does.