FMICs and Temps

• Thread starter Deleted member 17706
  • Start date

Has your Raptor overheated since you installed your FMIC?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 17706

Alright Gents,

Given various discussions on the forum about FMICs and potential overheating issues, it will be informative to have everyday FMIC users share their various temperature read outs and discuss whether or not they have had problems keeping their Raptors within its proper cooling range.

Please share your geographical location—where we can know the climate, any information as to your mods (e.g., do you have lights blocking your grill in addition to your FMIC, upgraded radiator, etc.), the type of fuel that you use—the highest rating octane available in your area is what you ought to be using to maximize the truck's efficiency, and the type of driving that you were doing (e.g., off-roading, towing, etc.). Given that we are going into summer, we should be able to create a substantive thread that Raptor owners can draw from.

*This isn't a debate about whether FMICs are better than upgraded stock located ICs. Rather, we want to analyze real world data on how FMICs function/perform in different environments across the country.

Post those results :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hdaniel85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2019 Raptor, Agate Black (should help with temps right? ;) This will be my 1st summer with this truck

Mods: AFE Magnum Force 2 CAI, COBB AP and soon to be custom tuned by Goosetuned, Cube lights (stock bumper)

Fuel: Chevron 91 Octane

Driving Style: 60% Streets, 30% highway, 10% off-roading (of that off-roading, 50% groomed fire roads, 50% washboard/non maintained dirt roads)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 17706

2019 Raptor, Agate Black (should help with temps right? ;) This will be my 1st summer with this truck

Mods: AFE Magnum Force 2 CAI, COBB AP and soon to be custom tuned by Goosetuned, Cube lights (stock bumper)

Fuel: Chevron 91 Octane

Driving Style: 60% Streets, 30% highway, 10% off-roading (of that off-roading, 50% groomed fire roads, 50% washboard/non maintained dirt roads)

Thanks for the post and thorough response. But we want to limit the posts on this thread to those that have a Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC)—where the intercooler is moved from its stock location to up behind the grill in front of the radiator. Are you planning on mounting one?

Kmorgs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright Gents,

Given various discussions on the forum about FMICs and potential overheating issues, it will be informative to have everyday FMIC users share their various temperature read outs and discuss whether or not they have had problems keeping their Raptors within its proper cooling range.

Please share your geographical location—where we can know the climate, any information as to your mods (e.g., do you have lights blocking your grill in addition to your FMIC, upgraded radiator, etc.), the type of fuel that you use—the highest rating octane available in your area is what you ought to be using to maximize the truck's efficiency, and the type of driving that you were doing (e.g., off-roading, towing, etc.). Given that we are going into summer, we should be able to create a substantive thread that Raptor owners can draw from.

*This isn't a debate about whether FMICs are better than upgraded stock located ICs. Rather, we want to analyze real world data on how FMICs function/perform in different environments across the country.

Post those results :)
This was a concern of mine when upgrading the IC. I use my raptor as DD and drive a lot of A1A, stop and go traffic. Wanted one that still used the stock location and stock fans to help when sitting in this heat. I decided to go with CVF IC and been happy with the results.when in the highway I see temps about 20 deg above AIT, with no to low boost. Once boost goes through it drops within 10 deg of AIt. Have Cobb stage 2, Cobb intake, AMS boost tubes, BOV.

move been waiting to take it off-road.

RRick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock location. CVF, Cobb Stage 2, Goosetuned. 91 octane, Arizona. No overheating, factory fans. 80% street, some trails, have towed some, smaller trailers with household goods.

Voted, wouldn’t let me change.

Hdaniel85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post and thorough response. But we want to limit the posts on this thread to those that have a Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC)—where the intercooler is moved from its stock location to up behind the grill in front of the radiator. Are you planning on mounting one?

Ah apologies, I think late night forum reading got to me. No, it's in the stock location, at least for now.

fur_pig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can overheat mine at will while towing my 6k lb travel trailer up large mountain passes if outside is above 70-80 deg F. I am Cobb stage 2 and live at 5k feet but tow almost every weekend in the summer up to 8-9k ft often. If I'm on a long pull and really hard into it the coolant temps will start to climb, then the numbers start to read above the gauge and eventually I can get the warnings. Trans never gets hot ever. I also turn my tune down to stage 0 when I tow. I would say I am an extreme use case and under normal driving or towing lighter loads I never get it hot whatsoever and assume that would be the case for 99% of owners.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 17706

I can overheat mine at will while towing my 6k lb travel trailer up large mountain passes if outside is above 70-80 deg F. I am Cobb stage 2 and live at 5k feet but tow almost every weekend in the summer up to 8-9k ft often. If I'm on a long pull and really hard into it the coolant temps will start to climb, then the numbers start to read above the gauge and eventually I can get the warnings. Trans never gets hot ever. I also turn my tune down to stage 0 when I tow. I would say I am an extreme use case and under normal driving or towing lighter loads I never get it hot whatsoever and assume that would be the case for 99% of owners.

Thanks for the info! Where exactly do you live? I assume when you say the Cobb Stage 2 kit that you do indeed have a FMIC?