FMIC Vs Stock location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WC114

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You also have the radiator fan pulling air through as well

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You also have the radiator fan pulling air through as well
True - not sure how effective it is on getting air to pull through the FMIC though - but intercoolers don't need airflow when the vehicle is stopped at idle.

ChaseH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry this is just wrong. The fans are there because the IC gets shit airflow. The license plate is supposed to basically block the entire inlet for the IC, which is why there are fans. As soon as you are over 5mph the FMIC will work far better than the stock location.

agree, as soon as you are over 5mph. But bumper to bumper a larger core with fans will out perform the front mount with no fans. I can find a video shortly that proves it.

Not trying to say the larger front mount isnt all around better though and also a raptor isnt meant to sit in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic lol.

ChaseH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True - not sure how effective it is on getting air to pull through the FMIC though - but intercoolers don't need airflow when the vehicle is stopped at idle.
this is also a great point. Higher intake temps dont really matter if you're not under any load or boost lol

John Rathjen

SWATDOC
Reaction score
For the sake of having the best cooling for the engine itself - especially during high load towing in hot weather, I'm gonna go ahead and stick with a stock location IC, but I will get an aftermarket IC, such as Mishimoto, Whipple, CVF, etc. I also just ordered the Mishimotor radiator for my truck for even better cooling

WC114

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never had an issue with the Cobb. Even pulling a 30 foot boat in Miami weather

John Rathjen

SWATDOC
Reaction score
I've just read too many posts from guys who have had an issue when towing with a FMIC. Plus keeping one in stock location is a lot less noticeable, so less chance of having a warranty problem.

RGVRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purchased the CVF in black for my 2020 Raptor. Now just need to figure out if COBB stage 2 tune will run as efficiently with this IC vs their larger front mount. Anyone have experience with this?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Purchased the CVF in black for my 2020 Raptor. Now just need to figure out if COBB stage 2 tune will run as efficiently with this IC vs their larger front mount. Anyone have experience with this?
The cobb will run circles around the CVF. It's much larger and has better airflow through it. Why did you get black? Coatings reduce efficiency.