FMIC Vs Stock location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Rathjen

SWATDOC
Reaction score
What FMIC are u running, SD18?

never mind, just saw ur previous post. How much does ur trailer weigh? I’ll be towing about 6-7K

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running the Cobb Stage 2 set up. I have a off road camping trailer weight about 5k lbs. plus all the gears on my truck and inside the trailer I would guess adding another 1k. I had no heating problems even going through Death Valley last summer.

John Rathjen

SWATDOC
Reaction score
Damn - that makes me want to go with a FMIC again so I can get the bumper I really want.
Such a tough decision with all the reports of guys with overheating issues.
That bad thing is - once you cut that frame you’re kinda stuck - no going back there

element217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 133396 View attachment 133397 I run the COBB intercooler in my 19’ . But don’t be fooled, you need to do everything to open up the motor. The install wasn’t bad. I did it in about 4 hours. Forget about the bumper. No need to replace it.

on your 19, did you have to do any cutting? Cobb instructions pretty accurate? Have a 20 and guessing nothing structurally changed.

John Rathjen

SWATDOC
Reaction score
The Cobb as well as any other FMIC requires no frame mods. the frame cutting and need for an FMIC is only if you want to run a “frame-cut” front bumper, which has more clearance and a better approach angle

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Cobb FMIC and others all are straight forward installs. The only thing that you have to "cut" is the inner front grill vents and remove the vent motor. If you need to see how it is install, you can go on Youtube. There's a lot of videos on installing the FMIC. I don't like cutting anything on my truck especially the frame but if you are looking to do a lot of steep angle off roading and need that approach angle because you are crawling up a big-ass rock or something then you need to get all that done. Personally if I knew that I am getting into that kind of rock crawling, I'll get a Jeep with a 4" lift!!!

John Rathjen

SWATDOC
Reaction score
Hey guys - anyone looking for better cooling - The Mishimoto radiators are selling for only $310 right now. I just ordered one.

ChaseH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do mostly city driving having the front mount in traffic will result in a little higher ait temps because of no fans. That's really the only reason I went with the CVF Titan.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
If I want to install a winch which I do, then it's my understanding that to do so with the stock bumper I have to install a FMIC.

So will a Cobb FMIC work with the Swarf works winch mount for the stock 2019 Raptor?

And can't one install a 170° Thermostat to help alleviate any overheating from the radiator being partially blocked?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you do mostly city driving having the front mount in traffic will result in a little higher ait temps because of no fans. That's really the only reason I went with the CVF Titan.
Sorry this is just wrong. The fans are there because the IC gets shit airflow. The license plate is supposed to basically block the entire inlet for the IC, which is why there are fans. As soon as you are over 5mph the FMIC will work far better than the stock location.