GEN 1 Flywheel & Starter needs replacing at 69,000 miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Five-O Donut Hole

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone chime in here? Street King Gen 1 Supercrew Raptor, bought new in 2012 and is daily driver to and from work. No off reading and garaged kept. Over the last year I’ve been getting an occasional grinding, high pitched squealing noise when trying to turn over the ignition. (I assumed it was starter issue) Happened again the other night 10 times in a row where I had to let it sit for a half hour before it finally started without the grinding high pitched squealing. Brought it to Ford and told the flywheel is missing 10 teeth from what they could see while doing the oil change. New starter and flywheel installed is a 1-2 day job for $2,100. Parts $300, $1,800 labor.

Are these parts that should just fall apart under the current miles and way the truck is babied? I had the drive shaft replaced a few weeks back and thought it odd at the time as well.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like the starter failed and chewed the gears on the flywheel. It's rare to happen, but I had it happen in my old mustang, installed a new drivetrain, starter and all and broke teeth off the flywheel. *******, shit happens.