Flutter noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018 Raptor is making a flutter noise (sounds like 2 pieces of metal tapping fast) when I fully let off on the accelerator on cold starts. Noise goes away when everything comes up to temp. No warning lights but I havent checked to see if any codes were thrown, I'll do that when I get home from work. Still drives perfect. Anyone got any ideas?

OP
OP
Steebo

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wastegate rattle.
Aw man... thanks for the input. I'm agreeing with you. I've seen a repair video for it and was hoping I wasnt in the same boat. I'll need to research it again but if I remember correctly, this is just a comfort issue. Just sucks driving down the road and the truck sounds like its breaking lol

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not something that needs to be fixed unless it really bothers you. Mine goes away after 30 seconds or so.

OP
OP
Steebo

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the waste gate rattle, I would also recommend not to get on it until it comes up to temp,

Agreed. I never run my rig hard unless temps are at least 165+ or a 10-15 minute drive.
Ah well at least it's nothing major like a timing chain or timing related issue so I can live with it. Like I said it only happens during cold starts when I completely let off the throttle even if the rpms are only at 2k. The noise only lasts a second when I do and only lasts for 2 or 3 decels (assuming truck is warming up fast enough to make the issue go away). Sounds like new turbos needs to be added on my list of mods

OP
OP
Steebo

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I still havent fixed the issue yet or havnt had it diagnosed since it seems to only be sound and nothing major. However I did notice that the noise doesnt appear when the truck is in neutral and slightly revving while cold. Only happens when the truck is in drive and I let off the accelerator. Doesnt happen during shifts either which boggles my mind. Still a wastegate flutter?

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you hear it at idle? That’s the only time I hear mine. Cold start idle from outside the truck. It’s not loud enough to hear much inside the ‘quiet cab’ unless a window is down.