Flush Mount Lights And Bumper Corrosion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Been looking at installing some backup/aux flush mounts in the rear bumper. My hesitation is that I live in Southern Ohio and while we do not usually get a ton of snow we do deal with salt and wet weather. My question is to people who have had flush mount lights installed for a while and how your bumper is holding up? Also did you do anything special to prevent rust aside from just painting the edges?

Thanks,

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The key to corrosion protection is isolating the bare metal from the elements. Obviously. The key to that is your surface prep around the cut edges. Spend a lot of time cleaning the cut edges and then use a good durable coating. For the bumper I’d suggest getting a tub of the roll on bed liner stuff. I’ve used it on my tailgate and bed side top and held up great. Just take your time and use a brush and get a good coating on the cut edges. I’d expect that to hold up pretty well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I intended to coat the inside of the bumper with HDMP after treating the bare metal with a coating, whether it be paint or bed liner of some sort. The only concerns I really had was in regards to how thin the material is on the bumper. Say if it were 1/4 I could see it being easy to coat both the the flat edge of the cut section as well as the corners of the cut section. Being as thin as it is I imagine it will be difficult to coat the edges and get it to cover completely. Make sense?