Flow Through (Center) Console Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

Has anyone removed the center, "flow through" console or does anyone have a PDF how to?

I'm installing the Ford trailer brake controller myself and the dash trim removal directions found online don't really apply to the Raptor since the guides online are for 2009 F150 with Column Shift.

I know how to do the install but would rather have a heads up on the plastics removal prior to attempting this job.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

Has anyone removed the center, "flow through" console or does anyone have a PDF how to?

I'm installing the Ford trailer brake controller myself and the dash trim removal directions found online don't really apply to the Raptor since the guides online are for 2009 F150 with Column Shift.

I know how to do the install but would rather have a heads up on the plastics removal prior to attempting this job.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think you need to remove the whole console... just the top half so you can remove the trim panel that has the coin tray soon-to-be brake controller.

I've had the top off the console... first, pull up on the aux switch panel. It "unsnaps". (really) Squeezing it slightly as you pull seems to help. It's not that hard to remove.

Unplug the wire connectors... I think there are 3... set the aux (upfitter) switch panel aside

Be sure Parking brake is set firmly

Put the trans in "N" and pull up firmly on the top of the console (the silver part around the shifter... the hole where the switch panel was makes a nice place to grab.) It also unsnaps.

for the rest of the install, I found this video... IIRC the 2010 connector might be taped to the harness... and of course you'll probably be installing the factory part? (Might need dealer programming IIRC.)

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-brake-controller-2009-ford-f150.aspx

good luck!

P.S. I did not use any tools to remove the switch panel or the console top

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think you need to remove the whole console... just the top half so you can remove the trim panel that has the coin tray soon-to-be brake controller.

I've had the top off the console... first, pull up on the aux switch panel. It "unsnaps". (really) Squeezing it slightly as you pull seems to help. It's not that hard to remove.

Unplug the wire connectors... I think there are 3... set the aux (upfitter) switch panel aside

Be sure Parking brake is set firmly

Put the trans in "N" and pull up firmly on the top of the console (the silver part around the shifter... the hole where the switch panel was makes a nice place to grab.) It also unsnaps.

for the rest of the install, I found this video... IIRC the 2010 connector might be taped to the harness... and of course you'll probably be installing the factory part? (Might need dealer programming IIRC.)

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-brake-controller-2009-ford-f150.aspx

good luck!

P.S. I did not use any tools to remove the switch panel or the console top

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good description Mark, but you do not have to remove the Aux switch panel to lift the console bezel. Lift the chrome ring from around the PRNDL, grasp the console bezel firmly on both sides and lift, You can unplug the Aux switch panel and lift the whole piece with the switch panel.

FSM

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good description Mark, but you do not have to remove the Aux switch panel to lift the console bezel. Lift the chrome ring from around the PRNDL, grasp the console bezel firmly on both sides and lift, You can unplug the Aux switch panel and lift the whole piece with the switch panel.

FSM

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got done with the install.

FYI, thank you so much for your quick replies yesterday.

Some notes:

The chrome trim around the transmission shift does not need to come off. Its tabs are pretty fragile and I was lucky today not to break it when I removed it.

The flow thru console just "lifts" up via pulling straight up at the corners nearest the armrest/storage console.

It does not need to be removed completely.

The trim piece directly to the right of the instruments where the A/C vent is and 4x4 switch is easiest to remove if you start at the top.

I was not able to remove the bottom of this trim piece near the carpeting. I did this in 90+ degree heat and was lucky the plastic was able to "give" vs. snap.

When you make some room bending the trim piece you will see the cubby hole retained to the dash with two small bolts.

My trailer brake controller wiring was taped to another wiring pack (I was able to see it by sticking my head into the footwell and looking up.

NOTE:!!!!! There is an adapter plugged in to the trailer brake controller wiring pack. It MUST be removed prior to plugging it into the back of the trailer brake controller or else you will be very frustrated trying to plug this in to the back of the TBC because it won't fit.

Don't throw the adapter out. Put it in a bag with the other components that came with the truck (harness, etc)

You should be able to slide the TBC module into the dash and snug up the bolts.

Put the trim pieces back (they just snap in) - be careful and make sure things are lined up. This is all held together with plastic tabs that are easy to break/deform.

Install the fuse and relay into spots #9 and #21 in the fuse box under the hood.

You are done other than visiting the dealer to have them enable the trailer brake controller using these very EASY steps that shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes. If they charge you labor for this you should pay no more than a quarter of an hour. Do not let them tell you that you need a new master cylinder or any other BULL****. The Raptor has everything it needs if you just added the factory TBC after the fact.

Here are the directions in case your dealer is "confused".

NOTE: The trailer brake system is normally installed at the assembly plant, however, the system can be installed at the dealership but only if the vehicle is equipped with the trailer tow option. This option can be confirmed by verifying the presence of both the 4-pin and the 7-pin connectors at the rear of the vehicle as well as a receiver hitch. If the vehicle is not equipped with these 3 items, then it is not equipped with trailer tow and cannot have the factory Trailer Brake Control (TBC) system installed. On those vehicles equipped with the trailer tow option, the electrical connector for the TBC module is attached to the back of the coin bin/storage tray. If the system is installed at the dealership, the TBC module will be installed in place of the coin bin/storage tray and the Instrument Cluster (IC) must be configured to communicate with the TBC module. Refer to the Wiring Diagrams manual, Cell 95 Trailer/Camper Adapter and Cell 151 Component Location Views for connector and wiring information. Refer to Programmable Parameters in the Diagnosis and Testing portion of this section for information on IC configuration.

* Without a trailer connected to the vehicle and with the ignition key turned to the RUN position, the TBC module display lights up/proves out, but does not light up afterward (will not illuminate with input from the gain + button or slide lever)

* Instrument Cluster (IC) not configured for TBC system

* REFER to DTC U2202 in the Trailer Brake Control (TBC) Module DTC Chart.

Programmable Parameters
The message center will display TBC FAULT if it is receiving communications from the Trailer Brake Control (TBC) module, but has not been configured for a trailer brake system. If the message center displays TBC FAULT and there are no DTCs stored in the TBC module, follow these steps to verify and/or modify the TBC module programmable parameter in the Instrument Cluster (IC).

1. Identify the vehicle using the normal Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) process.

2. Select Programming and press the check box.

3. Select Module Programming and press the check box.

4. Select Programmable Parameters and press the check box.

5. Select Personality and press the check box.

6. Follow the on-screen directions.
NOTE: The scan tool will display either EQUIPPED or NOT EQUIPPED to the left of TBC-IC.

7. Highlight TBC-IC.

8. If the IC needs to be configured for a trailer brake system, choose EQUIPPED and press the check box.

9. Carry out a self-test of the TBC module. Refer to the Trailer Brake Control (TBC) Module DTC Chart for any DTCs retrieved.

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got done with the install.

FYI, thank you so much for your quick replies yesterday.

Some notes:

The chrome trim around the transmission shift does not need to come off. Its tabs are pretty fragile and I was lucky today not to break it when I removed it.

The flow thru console just "lifts" up via pulling straight up at the corners nearest the armrest/storage console.

The trim piece directly to the right of the instruments where the A/C vent is and 4x4 switch is easiest to remove if you start at the top.

I was not able to remove the bottom of this trim piece near the carpeting. I did this in 90+ degree heat and was lucky the plastic was able to "give" vs. snap.

When you make some room bending the trim piece you will see the cubby hole retained to the dash with two small bolts.

My trailer brake controller wiring was taped to another wiring pack (I was able to see it by sticking my head into the footwell and looking up.

NOTE:!!!!! There is an adapter plugged in to the trailer brake controller wiring pack. It MUST be removed prior to plugging it into the back of the trailer brake controller or else you will be very frustrated trying to plug this in to the back of the TBC because it won't fit.

Don't throw the adapter out. Put it in a bag with the other components that came with the truck (harness, etc)

Put the trim pieces back (they just snap in) - be careful and make sure things are lined up. This is all held together with plastic tabs that are easy to break/deform.

Install the fuse and relay into spots #9 and #21 in the fuse box under the hood.

You are done other than visiting the dealer to have them enable the trailer brake controller using these very EASY steps that shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes. If they charge you labor for this you should pay no more than a quarter of an hour. Do not let them tell you that you need a new master cylinder or any other BULL****. The Raptor has everything it needs if you just added the factory TBC after the fact.

NOTE: The trailer brake system is normally installed at the assembly plant, however, the system can be installed at the dealership but only if the vehicle is equipped with the trailer tow option. This option can be confirmed by verifying the presence of both the 4-pin and the 7-pin connectors at the rear of the vehicle as well as a receiver hitch. If the vehicle is not equipped with these 3 items, then it is not equipped with trailer tow and cannot have the factory Trailer Brake Control (TBC) system installed. On those vehicles equipped with the trailer tow option, the electrical connector for the TBC module is attached to the back of the coin bin/storage tray. If the system is installed at the dealership, the TBC module will be installed in place of the coin bin/storage tray and the Instrument Cluster (IC) must be configured to communicate with the TBC module. Refer to the Wiring Diagrams manual, Cell 95 Trailer/Camper Adapter and Cell 151 Component Location Views for connector and wiring information. Refer to Programmable Parameters in the Diagnosis and Testing portion of this section for information on IC configuration.

* Without a trailer connected to the vehicle and with the ignition key turned to the RUN position, the TBC module display lights up/proves out, but does not light up afterward (will not illuminate with input from the gain + button or slide lever)

Programmable Parameters
The message center will display TBC FAULT if it is receiving communications from the Trailer Brake Control (TBC) module, but has not been configured for a trailer brake system. If the message center displays TBC FAULT and there are no DTCs stored in the TBC module, follow these steps to verify and/or modify the TBC module programmable parameter in the Instrument Cluster (IC).

1. Identify the vehicle using the normal Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) process.

NOTE: The scan tool will display either EQUIPPED or NOT EQUIPPED to the left of TBC-IC.

7. Highlight TBC-IC.

8. If the IC needs to be configured for a trailer brake system, choose EQUIPPED and press the check box.

9. Carry out a self-test of the TBC module. Refer to the Trailer Brake Control (TBC) Module DTC Chart for any DTCs retrieved.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How To: Remove the "Flow Through" Center Console

SVTO member xjrguy has put together a how-to regarding removal of the Raptor's center console for the purposes of installing the OEM trailer brake controller. Here it is!

Some notes:

Programmable Parameters

7. Highlight TBC-IC.

r6cairo

Reaction score
How to Reinstall Center Console?

I was installing a switch under the center console piece around the shift lever. Was easy to pop the piece off no problem. But I cannot get the piece to fit back in and on properly with all of the tabs lined up. Is there a video showing ow to reinstall the center console. All the ones on the forum seem to show removal only.