Flat tire advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Normally I wouldnt worry about a plug but with such low miles (no wear) on the tires swap it with the spare and have the plugged one as a spare...
Now to use the spare up more if you want, you can do a 5 tire rotation and actually use the spare instead of leaving it under the truck to rot away never to be used. All pending the above information. Balance, I would have to say yes. TMPS could be another chip shortage.

ACE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To those who suggested swap with spare, I’ve seen it said around here, don’t know if true, but spare doesn’t have TPM and is not balanced. True or false?
True.
Spare is not balanced nor comes with TPM sensor. I had a TPMS installed in my spare and balanced and I also did it for my second spare too.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done this a couple of times, once in raptor, once on Jeep....plug or patch the tire, then have it swapped for the spare so u have the cleanest primary tires possible.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Never would have a patched or plugged spare. How many people monitor the spare pressure? My luck, it would be flat when I needed it.

WRAPIT

Reaction score
So as luck (or lack of) would have it, with only 323 miles on my truck I've got a screw in the tire tread and am slowly losing pressure. With a full size spare, what do you guys do in this situation? Plug or patch the tire with the screw and use that as the spare? Or buy a new tire?

Thanks!
patch inside and use it , no worries

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True.
Spare is not balanced nor comes with TPM sensor. I had a TPMS installed in my spare and balanced and I also did it for my second spare too.
Very good idea. Might have to take a trip to Discount Tire

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
Tire shops no longer use plugs due to liability...
They now only do patches.

Personally I would plug it and keep driving on it.
Plugs work, nothing wrong with them. But corporate tire shops no longer use plugs.
They can charge you more for a patch.

If you plug it, make sure to use truck tire plugs which are a little heavier duty.
Discount tire just put a plug in mine last week?? One of the largest tire shops in the nation. Plug it OP it’s not a big deal at all.