Flat tire advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as luck (or lack of) would have it, with only 323 miles on my truck I've got a screw in the tire tread and am slowly losing pressure. With a full size spare, what do you guys do in this situation? Plug or patch the tire with the screw and use that as the spare? Or buy a new tire?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Tire.jpg
    Tire.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 59

LuckyKnuckle36

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
So as luck (or lack of) would have it, with only 323 miles on my truck I've got a screw in the tire tread and am slowly losing pressure. With a full size spare, what do you guys do in this situation? Plug or patch the tire with the screw and use that as the spare? Or buy a new tire?

Thanks!
Normally I wouldnt worry about a plug but with such low miles (no wear) on the tires swap it with the spare and have the plugged one as a spare...

OP
OP
dirtlvr

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just added a picture to the original post. It's in the tread, but in an interest place. Can you plug a hole that's actually in the tread block like that? And if so, any particular type of plug or just what my local auto parts store has?

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I always do with my new vehicles is take them straight to discount tire and buy the certificates (road hazard) for the tires, I think it was $20 a tire. That gets you free rotation and balance and flat repair and if they can’t fix it you get a new tire.

AutoXRacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire shops no longer use plugs due to liability...
They now only do patches.

Personally I would plug it and keep driving on it.
Plugs work, nothing wrong with them. But corporate tire shops no longer use plugs.
They can charge you more for a patch.

If you plug it, make sure to use truck tire plugs which are a little heavier duty.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To those who suggested swap with spare, I’ve seen it said around here, don’t know if true, but spare doesn’t have TPM and is not balanced. True or false?