Flashing Check Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CW McCall

Reaction score
I did a little poking around and didn't see an exact scenario like this so figured I'd post here.

This morning on the commute, I was merging onto the highway and floored it to get around a guy going 25mph and the engine made a wheezing noise, power was limited, and the check engine light started flashing. It went away after a couple minutes and I had no other issues accelerating during the ride to work.

Truck is stock 2022 - no tunes or mods whatsoever - with about 6200 miles. I usually run normal mode for everything except exhaust which I set to sport.

I don't have a code reader, but also is it going to throw a code if the light isn't on? Not sure what the best path forward is, but this is a little disappointing so early into ownership.

Thanks!

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure this was the check engine light and not traction control?

Usually a flashing check engine light is a significant misfire that should trip a light, but probably some pending codes stored that wouldn’t turn the light on yet. I would scan and see what’s there.

OP
OP
CW McCall

CW McCall

Reaction score
Yeah it was definitely the engine light. It flashed for a couple minutes, then went away. I'll have to see if I can go get it scanned somewhere.

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly what @NJ2020 stated, and a quick visual inspection of the engine specifically look at the inlet scoop as another stated. Do you have a way to pull codes? If not most local auto parts stores can do it for you

OP
OP
CW McCall

CW McCall

Reaction score
Auto zone told me they can’t lookup stored codes - they need the light to be on, which isn’t helpful. I’ll see about getting in to the dealer.

In the meantime, this plug (orange cord) is just sitting here unplugged and hanging out - is that supposed to be like that? Seems weird.

Truck drove fine home from work. I didn’t push it hard but it accelerated fine - which was what I was doing when the issue first surfaced.

Thanks everyone for your input. The intake looks fine to me, which was another suggestion to check.

3F2DFDD0-FBB8-4A31-8F6E-1BA7E407EE29.jpeg

D4B54C93-35D6-4CF3-ABA8-BA1F9B3C701E.jpeg

Attachments

• FE1C1741-AC79-4B1F-A3EA-A2C14845FE00.jpeg
    FE1C1741-AC79-4B1F-A3EA-A2C14845FE00.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 8

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like it has a cap of some sort on the connector. Probably shouldn’t be loose but don’t think it should be plugged in anywhere. Let’s see a picture of your intake scoop! I’m betting that’s the issue @CW McCall

Last edited:

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It was the the newb sensor going off. :rotflmao:

Seriously tho did you check your air inlet? Couple Gen 3 guys talking about intake tubes being collapsed or something… pop your hood, check the intake first. Due to the intake being flexible polycarbonate, it would explain the “self fixing” nature of the issue you’re having.

Last edited: