FL-500s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stroked out

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else notice a design change on this filter. I have a cap that goes on the end of the filter. On my last oil change I noticed the cap didn't fit the filter anymore. It looks like they did away with the little creases on the end. I purchased the filter from my local oriellys. I would not think of oreillys having knock off parts but who knows these days.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is definitely more than 1 version of that filter! I bought a cap wrench that fit the Advance Auto 500S perfectly. I test fitted it while I was there buying oil and the filter. It would not fit the 500S that was on my truck from Ford.

OP
OP
S

Stroked out

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read a few threads (including yours oldfart) about dealer filters being different. I just never purchased a different version. I should've taken a pic.

aandrews109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been getting my FL 500S filters at Walmart for a while and they've all been the tons of creases on the end cap. The last one I picked up was faceted and my wrench would not fit. Went up the the local Auto Zone to get a new filter wrench and pulled a new FL 500S off the shelf and it was the old style with creases. There were two on the shelf so I opened the other one. It was the faceted style. Did an eyeball comparison on them and other than the bottom of the filter, they appeared identical. Same box, same size, same part #. Who know why the change!