First Winter with a Pickup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first pickup and since I got it in May, this will be my first time driving in snow, so I have a few questions. I am used to driving and ice racing an AWD Evo with snow mode, blizzaks, and a torque vectoring rear differential. I’m guessing the handling on a raptor will be quite a bit different.

1) are the factory tires sufficient for packed snow/ice? Deep snow?

2) Do I need to add weight to the bed to get traction?

3) Do I need to change the tire pressure?

4) I am in the Rockies a lot with the truck outside - should I add an engine block heater for those sub-zero starts?

5) I know the manual says not to run chains. Does anyone know why? Does anyone use chains? I would like to get back to some of my winter four wheeling sites that can have some pretty deep snow and doubt bare rubber could make it.

6) Anything else a first timer should
Know?

7) How deep does it need to be before you consider locking the rear diff?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got some answers...but not all:

1) Factory tires - I don't have first hand knowledge but around here and other off road sites it seems many say the KO2's do well in snow (not ice) and many also complain they suck...I think you will have to run them and see for yourself..

2) Add weight to bed - YES...almost any truck will benefit from a couple hundred extra lbs in the bed.

3) Tire pressure for snow - Another member will have to weigh in..

4) Block heater - I think some were delivered that way in states that have deep winters...If it was my truck I would look into it for sure.

5) I think the chains have potential to do some body/fender damage, but again others might have first hand experience.

6) First timer - Since I'm a "Zero" timer I got nothing for that..

7) The rear locker - It only locks in the 4wd modes, but if I were running snow I would turn it on...

Lot's of smart guys here with snow running, give them some time to chime in..:)

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Tire pressure I do not change. The factory tires are OK in fresh snow, adequate in hard pack, and suck on the ice. I would suggest a set of Nokian winter tires or studded Goodyear Duratracs. I do not add any weight in the bed however I do have the weight of a spray in bed liner, rubber bed mat, and a hard bed cover. So in a roundabout way I have added about 150 lbs. A block heater and a battery blanket are both good ideas. If my temps dropped that low I would run them. Chains, some will clear the rear just fine. I use these https://www.tirechain.com/Tire-Chains-Diamond-Installation.htm. For the front you are screwed unless you change your wheel offset and possibly upper control arms. There just isn't enough room for the chains to fit up front. Locking the rear is not the best idea. If you are going slow in deep snow on a straight road it may help. The rest of the time a locked rear will likely get you in the ditch.

Every aspect of the truck handling is going to be much different than your Evo. The steering is way slower, the high center of gravity works against you on slick surfaces. Once 6000 lbs gets sliding it is very easy for it to get away from you. Find a snow covered empty parking lot and play around with it.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Post above nailed it on the tires. Your evo handles much better than the truck in snow. I run 4x4 and disable all the nanny modes.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you race on ice, you have nothing to worry about. The biggest adjustment is getting used to the size of the truck. But after drifting it around a few corners, it starts to feel normal.

I lived in the high Rockies and drove RWD performance sedans and 4WD vehicles over mountain passes during blizzards with Blizzaks and X-Ice. To me, the Raptor with KO2s feels just as secure as my 4runner with X-Ice.

Granted, the Rockies are mostly packed snow and nothing like the ice storms the East gets. But I'm comfortably doing 50 when everyone with all-seasons is going 20 with their flashers on.

Starting after sub-zero nights is not a problem. The block heater is mostly for Canada's -30deg winters. That said, I would remote start and let it warm up before driving off, more for my comfort than because the truck needed it.

The rear diff lock isn't needed unless you get stuck or are rock crawling. If you are in conditions where you are concerned about maintaining control, I would definitely leave it off. The lock forces one tire to skid around corners and you lose that tire's grip. In fact, the only time I really use the diff locker is to help break the rear end free around corners when I feel like playing around.

I wouldn't bother with weight in the bed. That is mostly a trick for 2wd pickup trucks. Switch to 4A and you will have plenty of grip coming from the front tires and the truck's traction control system keeps the rear tires from spinning out of control.

As for deep snow, I've taken it on trails through 2 feet of fresh, unbroken snow and it did fine. Smartest to have other vehicles with straps to help if you slide off the road and shovels to dig yourself out, but you need a vehicle with tracks to do better than the Raptor in the deep stuff.

SD1290

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s also the frozen door latches, had it happen a few times last winter, has this been addressed yet?

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Problem with the doors is that moisture gets trapped inside and prevents the latches and locks from functioning after it freezes. I sprayed WD40 to displace the moisture and also pulled all rubber plugs to let breath. This seems to work

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stock tires are fine, drive for the first season then make up your own mind.
Some weight helps, I now have a cap on mine so nothing else needed. Full tank of gas helps, too.
Tire pressures: 38/34 or 36/32.
My equipment package had factory block heater, check your build sheet.
Weather driving mode when you’re nervous and mud/ sand when you want to rip!

1CC080EB-8167-4924-B743-FDC2064BF2A3.jpeg