First time Gen1 buyer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Runningriot

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First time posting on the forum but I've been lurking around for a while. I’m ready to pull the trigger on a Gen1. Would I have any regrets on getting a ‘12 over a ‘13? The main differences with the 13s seem to be I’d get the HIDs and MyFord Touch. The HIDs aren’t a big deal to me. Any experience with the MyFord Touch vs the Sync Navigation? My wife and I have a 13 Edge with the MyFord Touch and for a factory system, we like it. Would it feel like I'm going backwards with the Sync Navigation in the '12?

I see that there is an open recall on the 13s, #19S07, for the transmission control module. How involved is that?

Anything else I should look for besides the basics? Leaky shocks, cab corners/rockers, spark plugs?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there's a few questions in there so first off 12 or 13? I looked at both over the years and preference is to the 13/14s for the reasons you mentioned. the projectors are second to none, even 2nd gen owners wish they had the headlights as bright from the 13/14s. even aftermarkets aren't as nice IMO. 2nd, the sync system between a 12 and 13 is night and day, maps are better in the sync 2 in the 13s, plus the ergonomics of the dash layout is far better. on top of that Ford is still coming out with updates for sync 2 (just did ver. 3.10 yesterday) plus you can always replace the sync in a 13/14 with a sync 3 system out of the current f150s. which is nice vs buying an aftermarket setup.

The transmission recall is nothing to worry about, again I got that done yesterday and it was just a update on the programming, nothing to worry about.

other than that, yeah you've got the basics down on what to look for. as for vehicle history if they can get it for you, rust, etc. realistically you'd be happier with nearly any year, just depends if you want those little creature comforts out of the 13s, with the ability to update/upgrade other things later.

good luck with your search!

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd stick with the 13s/14s, the ability to upgrade to Sync 3 is worth it alone. HIDs are far superior to the older halogen reflector housings, and they look much better both on and off as well.

OP
OP
Runningriot

Runningriot

Reaction score
@SVTTrooper and @EricM
Thanks for your insight! The information regarding the sync 2/3 upgrade is very good to know.

Going to check one out tomorrow morning, fingers crossed!

Five-O Donut Hole

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another schnitzengruben darling? Welcome aboard....

I have a 12’ bought new right before the 13’ was released and have no regrets whatsoever. That being said, I upgraded to a set of the HIDS from a 13’ FX4 for the reasons stated....they are superior to the halogens and make the truck look that much better. SYNC sucks all the way around....You shouldn’t be disappointed with any of the original SVT Raptors so enjoy it