First time Ford/Raptor Owner.. Mixed Feelings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks salvageable in those pics. She looks good. You could leave it like that and crawl through Idaho for now. I would definitely get rid of those blocks in the back, you want deavers anyway. I have Deavers +3's with aftermarket bumpstops, that should fix the rear up like @PorterW1111 already mentioned. I'm curious just as @K223 , did they actually cut into the front crossmember or just weld overtop with their kit? If that's the case, it wouldn't take too much work to get rid of that crap and go back to stock, but if the wife likes it now, just enjoy
Sorry, it’s a pain to find a good angle to show everything. Let me know if you need a different angle and I’ll try to get up under there.
I can say when it was up on the rack, the back end did droop about and inch to two inches more than the front. *not exact, just visual/memory*

View attachment 180016
View attachment 180017
View attachment 180018
Ahh ok yeah they do have the relocation on there. On the bottom mount

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The second(back) lower support is removed for the bds kit. That’s because they lower the while front axle. Can you snag a pic of both too and bottom rear shock mounts. I’m very concerned cause I don’t see a shock drop bracket back there...
Yeah your correct. Front member looks to be all intact, but they removed the second member which normally has shields attached and covers the front pinion/diff and front driveshaft up. So while nothing may be hacked up, you would need several stock parts to convert back.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like nothing is hacked up beyond a return to stock. So it can be done. Everybody gets to choose their own fate, but trading for a stock truck is such an easier and cheaper alternative. It's an eye-catching truck. If you can find a suitable replacement then you'd have no problem trading. And you're about to spend $2k minimum in parts on your suspension project (Deavers alone are over $1400) plus either your time to do the work or labor cost to do the work. If you hire out the job, it's definitely gonna be over $1k in labor. Labor might be closer to $2k.

So is spending $4k on this science project with an uncertain result worth it compared to trading for a stock truck with a 100% guaranteed result? I think you need to be real that this is the question you are facing. Whatever your answer may be is your prerogative.

Raptor44

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just picked up my "New to me" 2020 Raptor. I was absolutely in love from day one. The price was great, low mileage (12k) and it had some mods that I was already planning on picking up myself. Here's where the mixed feelings come in.. Among the mods were a lift kit and bigger tires. Coming from a HD Truck, modest lifts were not an issue at all for me. I did a cursory online search, and figured that it must be something minor, as it has full factory shocks. Well, that was last Monday. On Sunday I put it up on my friend's lift and we took it apart to install my first official mod (Turbosmart BoV). During that process, I noticed the bracketing for a BDS Lift kit (BDS logo was hiding under the skid plate) (assuming it is the 4 inch kit). My first reaction was "Cool! Those kits were pretty solid when I was looking at them for my 2500HD.".. A heart wrenching evening of google searches later, I am firmly convinced that my truck is completely ruined. Destined not for the vroom vroom jumpy jumpy, but instead to be stuck in a life of parking lots and Starbucks lines. I am not a hardcore off roader by any means, but my company is moving me to Idaho, and it was a dream of mine to drive down to Moab and give it a go. To say this is bittersweet would be an understatement. I have wanted to join the Raptor club for a long time, and now that I have, I just don't know.. I am still holding on to hope that I can undo the previous owner's decisions, but because the frame had to be cut to allow the kit to be installed, I am very limited in options.. Though, at least he didn't seem to cut corners on the kit. It has some hefty relocation brackets to maintain stock suspension travel, and geometry. The weak point, from what I can figure, is the block for the rear leaf. If I can find a way to do away with that, but maintain the lift (so I don't have to try to reverse the frame cutting), I may be able salvage the situation.
I am still holding on to that glimmer of hope! Fingers crossed guys.
@Mr_Superbia
I have a 2020 w <7k miles. Bought it in January. Beautiful truck with add-one’s. Considering selling it. I love it but just too big. Won’t fit in my garage! I guess I’ll have to get a Prius! (Running joke here). Contact me if you have any interest. Not here, please use my email: [email protected].211EB2D6-01F5-41BE-A8DB-CCF52E9C0085.jpegA7111ECB-E48E-41BF-8C2C-08433134AC2B.jpeg489BACA5-0EA8-43C9-8006-5184F0955C06.jpegFD870FD7-0D6D-4788-A735-1FA044FDF28C.jpeg9FDCD894-A005-450E-8102-3B727646B432.jpeg

Last edited:

racebannon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you decide to sell, call up Koons Ford in Virginia. I just bought my 2020 from them last August, put 20k miles on it and they asked to buy it back at the original purchase price.

Vader

Reaction score
I was looking at the pictures you posted and was thinking it looks like you could just unbolt it and bolt your suspension back up to the original factory holes. But upon checking the BDS website it looks like they have a substantial cutting to make a differential drop-down.
The below image is from the BDS Lift Kit website for a 2020 Ford F150 4 inch lift.
1623781100733.png

Sorry to say you're stuck with that lift, so enjoy it as is or sell it.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was looking at the pictures you posted and was thinking it looks like you could just unbolt it and bolt your suspension back up to the original factory holes. But upon checking the BDS website it looks like they have a substantial cutting to make a differential drop-down.
The below image is from the BDS Lift Kit website for a 2020 Ford F150 4 inch lift.
View attachment 180108

Sorry to say you're stuck with that lift, so enjoy it as is or sell it.
Good find. Yes if this is the case then there’s no going back. So either enjoy it as is or just get the hassle over with and sell it and find another.

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't read all the replies, so may have already been said: Sell it! and get what you really want. You'll be able to recoup costs in this market. Texas has lots of Raptors popping up periodically if you just keep searching.