GEN 2 First service recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey everybody!

Newbie to the forum. I don't mean to be asking a question others have asked in the past, but I just wanna have all my ducks in a row.

Got a new 2018 Raptor scab about a month ago. 800 miles on the odo now and wanted to get recommendations for the first service. Plan on changing the engine oil and filter at 1,500 miles. Full synthetic of course. Probably motorcraft oil and filter. Unless there is something better? But is there any other service you all recommend along with the oil change? Like rear diff fluid change? Front diff? Transfer case? etc. Coming from the aviation community I have always been a big proponent in preventative maintenance.

I really appreciate everyone's help. Thank you.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Opinions vary (a LOT lol) on oil and filter brands, my $0.02 is Motorcraft is one of the better choices and readily available so you can stick to the same oil & filter every time (also IMO is better). Not sure what the manual recommends for an '18 but on my '13 it says spark plugs at 97.5k, coolant at 105k, front & rear diff, transmission & filter, and transfer case at 150k (unless offroading, then the transfer case drops to 60k). Personally I wouldn't worry about the diffs and xfer case until 50-60k but much depends on your usage; water entry being your differentials' arch enemy so if you dunk them frequently keep an eye on the vent hoses and just change the fluid if there's any question. I'm big on preventative too so on mine with lotsa miles I'll do all the driveline fluids every 50k, may be overkill but gets me out of the house ;)

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m with you on preventive maintenance...gives me a chance to inspect everything while I’m working on the vehicle too.

Other than an oil change, not much to do at 1,500 miles, other than maybe rotating the tires and inspecting your brakes. Since you’re there you could go ahead and bleed the brakes...I spend a lot of time at the track and completely bleed my car’s brake fluid at least 3-4 times a year (or any time I boil my brake fluid). With very few exceptions, brake fluid is very hygroscopic (absorbs water from the atmosphere) so you should change it regularly...something most people don’t do unfortunately.

Inspect the air filter...and swap to a reuseable/washable at that point if desired. Only other thing I’d do is pull the TIP sensors to see if you’re getting any blow-by/oil film on yours. If so, I’d consider installing an oil catch can.

The spark plugs are so easy to do, it’s not a bad idea to swap out to 542s at some point...that said, with your mileage so low, I see no point to doing those yet unless you’re having detonation issues or just want to do it. I swapped mine at 20K miles for peace of mind, but my stock plugs looked just about perfect.

Regardless, just my $0.02...remember, I’m just a guy on the internet any advice is worth the price you paid for it! :)

Welcome aboard!

P.S. Nice avatar! My dad was a crew chief and taught me about preventive mx early on. My brother was also a crew chief on C5s out of Dover. Most of my time is in C-141s, though I have some C-5 hours logged too... Are you at the depot there?

Last edited:

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took a Honda Accord to 200K miles, doing almost nothing but syn Oil changes, New Battery every 5 years, tires every 60K, and a recommended timing belt change at 110K miles. just for kicks I did change out the air filter at 100K miles, and did a front alignment.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt your aviation training says in normal use to perform 100hr maintenance at the 25hr mark.

Drive it, maintain it. Change your wiper blades, fill the washer fluid, etc etc. When the right mileage hits switch to whatever full synthetic oil you want, just use MC oil filters. All those other fluids can wait till they are due unless you meet the special operating conditions. No different than what you would do in aviation right?