First oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree regular oil checking is imperative...but could they have put the dip stick in a more hard to reach place...you need arms like a chimpanzee to reach the dip stick even on the tips of your toes

It’s in an awkward spot for sure. I can’t reach it standing on the ground. A work platform helps.

Raptor Vet

Reaction score
It’s in an awkward spot for sure. I can’t reach it standing on the ground. A work platform helps.
And light...no light under hood...my 2000 F 250 at least has a light...pretty dark putting that dip stick back in that black hole...sorry worked all day...don't really mean to sound like I'm complaining...I do love my truck

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And light...no light under hood...my 2000 F 250 at least has a light...pretty dark putting that dip stick back in that black hole...sorry worked all day...don't really mean to sound like I'm complaining...I do love my truck

Engine bay light would be good for an old dog like me haha

I keep a rechargeable led trouble light in the truck.

Dawg

Reaction score
This....^^

Every week or so we see a post where someone is a quart or more low on oil asking if it is normal or not. Usually when asked for how often they check it, the answer is, the truck is new never checked it. or 4,500 miles ago.

Evry fill up is a little over kill. but I check my oil before, during, and after every significant road trip. And every other 3-4 tanks.

it takes 10 mins to fill up a 36 gallon tank of gas. lord knows you have time.
The problem with checking at fill up is it states in manual to wait 15 minutes after truck is no longer running before checking. It's damn near impossible to get a good reading from the dipstick after waiting 15 minutes. After 1 hour is when i check and can get an accurate reading, was told by Dealer to check when cold so who knows. Mine has been in shop 3 times for oil consumption and is about to go back again. Best of luck.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just changed mine for the first time at 24k miles (dealer did 7500 and 15000 oil changes) and other than spilling about 1.5 quarts on my garage floor, it went smoothly.

Although I'm glad I did it myself this time, because apparently in the two times the dealer changed my oil they managed to turn one of my torx screws into an allen head. Barely got it out - they are lucky I got it out, because my service manager would have had a very angry customer to hear from rather than a slightly miffed one. Can't trust anyone to work on my vehicles...

The problem with checking at fill up is it states in manual to wait 15 minutes after truck is no longer running before checking. It's damn near impossible to get a good reading from the dipstick after waiting 15 minutes.

This is why I hate checking our oil, that and I need a step stool. That said, mine has always been over the second dot, and never used up any oil.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m getting mine changed for first time (2018) on dealer’s dime this week. I’ll only have about 4000 miles on the truck, but want them to check out a few things while it’s there warranty related so I’m bringing it in a little early.

I’m assuming they’ll just put regular oil in unless I ask for synthetic? I may get a K&N filter if they’re difficult to remove, will probably be doing my own oil changes going forward based on some of the messy horror stories I’ve read coming back from dealers. Also- pretty damn easy to do w/ a set of ramps this thing has PLENTY of clearance to work w/ lol

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m getting mine changed for first time (2018) on dealer’s dime this week. I’ll only have about 4000 miles on the truck, but want them to check out a few things while it’s there warranty related so I’m bringing it in a little early.

I’m assuming they’ll just put regular oil in unless I ask for synthetic? I may get a K&N filter if they’re difficult to remove, will probably be doing my own oil changes going forward based on some of the messy horror stories I’ve read coming back from dealers. Also- pretty damn easy to do w/ a set of ramps this thing has PLENTY of clearance to work w/ lol

They should be putting in the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend, which for all intents and purposes is as good as full synthetic. Blends are usually 95-99% synthetic anyway, and the blend just cuts cost and rounds out the viscosity spectrum.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score

I use this Gorilla step stool, holds 300 lbs and folds up flat which fits behind the passenger rear seat.

For me it's also great to use as a stepping stool to step up to the tailgate step since I've had total knee replacement in both knees.

SmartSelect_20190529-124634_Firefox.jpg https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-Ladders-1-Step-Plastic-Folding-Step-Stool-Ladder-with-a-300-lbs-Capacity-2-Pack-GLP-1S-COM/206729683?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CVF%7CD22%7C22-8_LADDERS%7CGorillaLadders%7CPLA%7CGorillaLadders%7c71700000033102349%7c58700003867202199%7c92700031086627833&gclid=CjwKCAjw27jnBRBuEiwAdjQXDAErjxVYbdCZSUPts-0-aDO7Fwx0NIoxHPnFLGGThaO6R7wed3rPJxoCqt0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

theman4bran

Reaction score
It may be using some oil? But sometimes the techs get lazy while prepping a new vehicle and don't check it. Plenty of people on this forum had their tires over inflated when they took delivery of their trucks.
Yep. Way overinflated