First oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian Duncan

Reaction score
Just changed the oil on my 2019 Raptor at a reputable local place. I had them use the Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 PSB. They noted I was a quart low on my first oil change at 4973 miles. Should I be concerned about being a quart low? Also, anyone have a recommendation about a better oil for the Raptor?

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Before the oil change.....when was the last time you checked the oil level?

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It may be using some oil? But sometimes the techs get lazy while prepping a new vehicle and don't check it. Plenty of people on this forum had their tires over inflated when they took delivery of their trucks.

gobie18

Reaction score
Even if it did burn a quart after 5000 miles, it's perfectly normal. Nothing to worry about.

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did my first change last week at 2000 miles on a 19’. Bit of a pain... drain plug in bad location (messy), filter hard to get solid access to (had to access from bottom and from top).

Put a Fumoto valve in to help with next change. Also of note... I used the Ford Racing filter and it was a lot larger than the standard... and leaked. Tightened it several times (a little more each time), but it still had a drip. Removed it and replaced with Mobil 1... all good (easier access cuz of smaller size, and no leaks). Used Pennzoil Ultimate 5W-30. 6qts out, 6qts in.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The tightening of a performance is different than a regular filter. I can not remember what it is past contact for turns.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
fl500s is the standard ford filter and it works just fine. I have been a Mobil 1 full synthetic guy since 1992. never an oil related issue.

I usually go around 7,500 miles on my oil changes. An the FOMOTO valve is a life saver on this truck.

CTSAPAC

Reaction score
Seems like everyone changing prior to the Ford recommendation of 10k mile services?

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil changes should be done in accordance with what conditions the vehicle is being used in. Cutting circles in the desert and following other vehicles through the dust requires lots more oil changes than a highway princess. Oil does not lose its viscosity it just gets dirty from the engine taking in outside dirt, therefore taking this dirt back and forth through your engine and wearing out moving parts. Full synthetic is a great lubricant but still falls under the same rule. How you use your vehicle should determine when you change your oil. Even a road princess collects lots of dirt in the oil. Leave your windows down for a day and see how much dust you get all over the inside. That’s what your engine takes in but at a much higher rate. 10000 miles is a lot of dust/dirt and I’m not waiting that long. 5000 & new filter and full synthetic in my princess always. You guys who play in the dirt need to pay attention to your oil and how clean it looks and feels. Oh and by the way, check your oil level each and every time you put gas in it. You’ll always know if you are burning oil and should never get caught a quart or more low. Happy motoring my friends.