First Oil Change & Tips/Tricks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got the same Fumoto valve and installed it after my first oil change. I almost feel like the version that has the hose nipple pointing straight outwards instead of down would work better. I ended up getting the same version that you have, but noticed that it sits a bit inwards from the skid plate opening.

I do need to get a hose to attach to the valve though. Did you get the official Fumoto hose for the drain plug or did you use something generic?
I bought the hose from Fumoto. I have multiple cars that use the same hose so I just bought one hose.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did my first oil change recently. The draining from the bolt was no problem, but I don't know how people are able to change the oil filter and minimize oil spillage. I wish more cars would do what BMW does and use a paper filter up top that can be swapped out without a single drop of oil spilling.
The 2.7 and 3.0 ecoboost engines have a drop in catridge that sits on top of the engine just like BMW.

Don N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed! BMW and Mercedes do that. I feel spoiled doing those oil changes compared to this. One side note: The BMW oil filter housing gaskets started leaking at ~125,000 miles and I replaced them. On the N54 engine if you let that leak onto the belt it can slip and be ingested into the crank. Something to watch for.

Yea, I am all too familiar with those issues. Thought I had an OFG leak on a F15 X5, but luckily it was just the o ring on the oil filter lid. Whoever was doing the oil changes before I bought the car must have not been changing them out or it had gotten torn when they installed the cover back on. Coming from BMW/European cars, most of the issues that people report on Raptors is relatively normal/negligible. I probably wouldn't bother owning a lot of European cars if I didn't do the majority of the repairs/services myself.

Terry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the oil filter, just loosen it until oil starts flowing and stop. Let the oil drain, mine drips through a hole in the skid plate into the drain pan without making a mess. Once the filter stops draining, it can be removed without spilling oil. That said, this truck is a pain to do an oil change on.

Raptorbegone

Reaction score
I'd say this truck is fairly easy to do an oil change.

impact driver makes short work of the skid plate bolts.
Don't even need a lift or ramps to get under it.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to add to this thread...First...Thanks OP. Nice write up. I have seen lots of discussion about the gusher of oil, and agree. I use a device similar to the Fumoto on my Jaguar F-Type and it works great. Only car I have that is worse, is the 911 Twin Turbo. Has two oil drains, and one is an aluminum tank that is thin and very tall...Have to counter torque it or risk a $1500 oil tank replacement. Also the oil is stacked straight up about 2 feet and comes out like a fire hose!

On the Raptor, I ended up getting the plug below on eBay. It is aluminum and fits in there very snug with no issues...And to drain, you use the second fitting and a hose and it works great! No gushers or mess. Just sharing as another option.

The base is installed permanently and you either insert the cap, or the drain that starts the oil flowing. I added tubing, so the oil flows nice and slow and where I want it to go.

DC

1s.jpg

2s.jpg