First Oil Change & Tips/Tricks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kalex

Reaction score
Also as an FYI for anyone interested in the Ronin plug. It will only fit with the plastic pans and yellow plastic plugs. I e-mailed Ronin and here is their reply:

"Thanks so much for your interest!
Unfortunately no, our Easy Oil Drain will only fit properly in the plastic oil pan that has the yellow plastic plug.
Thanks for reaching out to double check! Have a great day."

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed the Ronin plug in my 2018 that had the yellow plug and plastic oil pan. Install was simple as can be. I followed their suggestion and jacked the driver’s side up to the limit of my floor jack using the LF frame rail jack point. Put 6 qts in, did the oil prime suggestion given earlier a few times, fired it up. Ran for a few minutes and raised RPMs. Shut it off, checked for leaks and waited about an hour. Oil level was just barely touching the bottom hash marks. Another 3/4 qts and I was at the top. So must have been effective as I believe a dry engine takes 7 qts.

As for the magnet on the Ronin...the primary plug can be removed any time you’re doing an oil change and cleaned off. It is a very simple and secure push in design with a spring washer...and the O-rings, washer, even the entire drain piece are user replaceable if you so desire. I am very impressed. I will keep the drain part in a Ziploc with my insurance and registration in the glove box.

Look forward to using it for my next oil change as you can attach a piece of 5/8" tubing and the flow rate can be varied by how far you turn the drain in.

IMG_7049.PNG

IMG_7050.PNG

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did my 1st oil change on my 2019 today. It was in a pain in the ass. The little oil drain plug door should be bigger as oil will spill all over your skid plate (the one right under your sway bars). I wedged a big towel in that area as I did not want oil to get trapped in that area.

Also the access door to the filter is great if you have a lift. When you are on your back, it is at weird angle to the filter. I removed the front skid plate to give myself more access but it was not fun putting it back. GRRRR!

If you have a metal oil pan, do yourself a favor and get the Fumoto F107sx. See pics below. I clocked it at 7 and attached a hose. In this position, there is a hole in the skid plate where you can route your hose. So for my next oil change, I will open the valve and it will go directly into container.

IMG-1076-crop1.jpg

IMG-1078-crop2.jpg

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did my 1st oil change on my 2019 today. It was in a pain in the ass. The little oil drain plug door should be bigger as oil will spill all over your skid plate (the one right under your sway bars). I wedged a big towel in that area as I did not want oil to get trapped in that area.

Also the access door to the filter is great if you have a lift. When you are on your back, it is at weird angle to the filter. I removed the front skid plate to give myself more access but it was not fun putting it back. GRRRR!

If you have a metal oil pan, do yourself a favor and get the Fumoto F107sx. See pics below. I clocked it at 7 and attached a hose. In this position, there is a hole in the skid plate where you can route your hose. So for my next oil change, I will open the valve and it will go directly into container.

View attachment 124273

View attachment 124274
Only thing that worries me if the skid plate bashed in the valve snaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Impossible. There are a few items much lower than the valve. If this was true than all raptor owners with the plastic drain plug should worry.

And look closer. The valve is above the sway bar. The skid plate would hit the sway bar first

Only thing that worries me if the skid plate bashed in the valve snaps

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Impossible. There are a few items much lower than the valve. If this was true than all raptor owners with the plastic drain plug should worry.

And look closer. The valve is above the sway bar. The skid plate would hit the sway bar first
Good to know

raptor ghost

Reaction score
there is also a steel bar that bolts inside the rear portion of the skid plate like 1.5” thick? definitely a pain to reattach the skid plate with just ratchets. will bring power tools to the game next time

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
correct and it a pain the ass to start the bolt. I threaded the bolt by hand and once I got it going I used a Milwaukee 3/8 impact drive to finish it.

there is also a steel bar that bolts inside the rear portion of the skid plate like 1.5” thick? definitely a pain to reattach the skid plate with just ratchets. will bring power tools to the game next time